Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

1996 Ford Explorer: /4.0L engine..loud..low speed..throttle body

My 1996 Ford Explorer w/4.0L engine makes a loud groaning noise at idle or low speed throttle down situations. It seems to emanate from the throttle body area. Is there a possible solution to this problem?

Hello Randy,

The groaning noise your hearing is likely the IAC (idle air control) sticking because its gummed up and when this happens it moans. The fix usually is to remove it and clean it. It mounts to the throttle body and is held on By 2 8mm bolts. Remove it and take some carb cleaner and clean it with Q-tips, reinstall it and you should be ok. Im sending a picture to assist with locating it. If cleaning dosnt repair it then it will need repalcement.graphic

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I think I cleaned the right part and it seems to have resolved the problem. Thanks Ron.
Thank you as well.