Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

My 2003 Expedition (5.4L) wont start. No ...

My 2003 Expedition (5.4L) won''t start. No noises at all when turning the key but radio works, all lights come on, even the door open chime sounds. Started it twice earlier today without problems. Even turned the key to start and took the tranny out of park and put it back into park. Still won''t start. Voltage meter on dash also shows good battery power. Starter?

Turn the headlights on and see if the dim quite a bit while trying to start.

Now shift to neutral and try to start, now move the shifter a little towards reverse then towards drive and try to start?

what were the results.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Lights did not dim at all. Moved the gear shift as you stated. Attempted to starrt it in Neutral and then again in Park and still nothing but silence. All gauges moved. Open door chime even sounded again.
Find the theft light indicator on the dash or cluster. Now turn the key to the run position and tell me if this indicator comes on then turns off and stays off or does it flash fast?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It flashes at a "normal" rate (on top of dash) when vehicle is off. I did as you asked and the light went off and stayed off as long as the key was in the on position. It came back on and flashed "normally" when I took the key out.

Ok inside the in car fuse panel I need you to check these fuses and then place your hand on this relay and try to start it. Does this relay click? Do you own a volt meter.

What were the results

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No to owning a volt meter. Sorry it took so long, the fuse box wasn't where the owner's manual said it was. Now, both fuses you asked me to check appear to be in good working order. And yes, I did feel a click on the fuse (starter relay?) you asked me to touch when I turned the key to the start/on position.

Hello I'm Chris a Ford Employee and Certified Engine/Transmission Specialist.

Thanks for asking your question. I am eager to get your vehicle back up and running correct, I am here to help you out for a small fee far less than a dealership and easier on the wallet, so if this information is of aid PLEASE PRESS ACCEPT and help me out financially by paying the small fee. Please reply if further discussion is needed.

Ok you have narrowed it down to being most likely the starter. you have a click in the starter relay which means the power is going to the starter but the starter is doing nothing with it. If you had a volt meter I was going to tell you to check power input to the starter but without the meter the answer is the same. The starter has most likely failed.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Chris - thanks. I had a feeling it was the starter after conferring with 2 other quasi-mechanics. However, I now feel 100% positive that is the problem. Thanks again. And, I will definitely hit accept.

Thank you. now go celebrate 08