Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

The dashboard lights on my 2002 Ford Taurus have ...

The dashboard lights on my 2002 Ford Taurus have suddenly stopped coming on. All other lights work. It is not a fuse--had that checked out. A local mechanic says the only way to definitely diagnose and fix--probably just a bulb replacement, but it could be a switch--is to take out the dashboard, at $190 for just labor. Another web page says the 2001 Taurus "unfortunately" requires removal of the dashboard to replace a bulb? Is that the case? If so, how could it be designed that way? Any other options? Thank you. MR

Do the gauges still work?

Do the bright lights and warning indicators and blinker light still work on the dash?

Are none of the backlights in the cluster working?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Chris (aka- Moose)'s Post: The gauges still work.

The bright lights and warning indicators and blinker light still work on the dash.

None of the backlights in the cluster are working.

Thanks. MR
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Moose,

Are you working on my answer? I cannot access my email right now. I have to stay online to wait for your response. Thank you. MR
Yes I am. I will post an answer within 10 minutes. need to accumulate all the info to help you.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Chris (aka- Moose)'s Post: Thank you. I appreciate your assistance.

MR

Hello I'm Chris a Ford Employee and Certified Engine/Transmission Specialist.

Thanks for asking your question. I am eager to get your vehicle back up and running correct, I am here to help you out for a small fee far less than a dealership and easier on the wallet, so if this information is of aid PLEASE PRESS ACCEPT and help me out financially by paying the small fee. Please reply if further discussion is needed.

graphicgraphic

...............................

Here is how to remove the cluster.

graphicgraphic

Did this explain it a little better
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thank you. However, on the instrument cluster page, I tried clicking on the link to SR Reporting, Section 501-20B and remove panel, Sec 501-12, but nothing comes up. Also, am I better off going to a Ford Dealership or a Ford-certified mechanic (there's one nearby, with 30 years experience at a dealership, and he's fully certified) as far as costs? Thanks. When I hear back from you, I'll indicate acceptance of your responses. Thanks again for your expert assistance.

MR
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Those pics are a screen shot off my computer screen of my login to fords website. So you will not be able to open the highlighted remarks. Yes this fellow you know which used to work for ford is a good option for repair.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thank you. Have a happy new year.

I'll try the experienced mechanic. He retired from a dealership and set up his own shop and is trustworthy, from my experience.

Best,

Mario
Your welcome