Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

1993 Ford Ranger: revs..stall..Is it a bad Idle Air Control Valve?

1993 Ford Ranger - When the engine is cold the idle revs and dyes to a near stall. Is it a bad Idle Air Control Valve?

Hello skip,

What size engine? How dose it run after its warmed up? Do you have a check engine light?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Ron's Post: 6 cylinder 3.0 2W Drive. After it warms up it idles fine and runs OK. While the idle is reving up and down, if I take it out of park and put it in gear it idles fine but bogs down when I drive until it warms up.

The check engine light come on after it idles for a few minutes. It will go out now and again.

Hello Skip,

The most common cold start driveability issue with your 3.0 is a dirty IAC (idle air control valve) and throttle body. IAC controls the engines ability to receive air past the trottle plate during cold start and at closed Idle. The common problem the IAC has is it becomes gummed up and the trottle plates get a build up of dirt and sludge from normal engine running. The fix is to remove the IAC and clean it with carb cleaner along with the throttle body and throttle plate. The IAC is mounted to your throttle body and is held on by 2 8mm bolts. Once you have this done disconnect your positive battery cable for a few minutes and then reconnect it and start it and let it Idlle about 10 mins. Which resets the PCM. Try this and let me know if it works.