RIP
RIP, Lead Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Certified Master Tech, L1 Adv Level, Ford Aftermarket Training, Ca Smog License.
1100518

my key is stuck in my ignition on my lincoln ...

my key is stuck in my ignition on my lincoln navigator 2004. It will only go back as far as the 2nd position. It will still go to third position and the 4th position to start it but it will not go to the 1st position being the off position and release the key. How can i release my key?
Category: Ford
Expert:  RIP replied 6 years ago.

Unfortunalty, this is a problem in the lock cylinder and the entire lock is replaced, which comes with a new key set. Be sure your shifter is going completely to the park position...try putting it in gear again and than back to park and see if the key will release. The problem is that if it is the lock and you do get the key out, it may not go in and turn the next time; but you can try to spray some WD-40 in there to help work the tumblers loose.

Rip

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So it may be best to leave the key in since there is a chance putting the WD-40 may release the key but it may make it so that the key will not go in next time or not start?
Expert:  RIP replied 6 years ago.

Yes, that is my recommendation, becuase once the tumbles release they may not allow the ignition to turn again...than you'll need to tow it to a repair facility...but if you would like to try it you can spray the Wd-40 in there and the key may very well come out and even work for some time. Also, some mobile locksmiths can repair this type of tumbler and they come to you.

Rip

RIP, Lead Technician
Experience: A.S.E. Certified Master Tech, L1 Adv Level, Ford Aftermarket Training, Ca Smog License.