Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

2002 ford focus se: wagon..running lights..dashboard..all fuses are

Customer Question

2002 ford focus se wagon - no rear running lights or backlight for the dashboard. all fuses are good, nothing else seems to be wrong.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 8 years ago.

Hello I'm Chris a Ford Employee and Certified Engine/Transmission Specialist.

Thanks for asking your question. I am eager to get your vehicle back up and running correct, I am here to help you out for a small fee far less than a dealership and easier on the wallet, so if this information is of aid PLEASE PRESS ACCEPT and help me out financially by paying the small fee. Please reply if further discussion is needed.

Make sure fuses 58 and 62 in the car are good. The GEM module needs to be checked via scan tool for trouble codes.

The light switch is the most probable cause for your concerns.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
just double checked fuses 58 and 62, they're good.

i've seen reference online to my problem possibly being related to where the wires go into the rear hatch. somebody has wrapped the wires at that point with electrical tape; looks to be something not done at the factory, though certainly possible.

i really can't afford to take my vehicle to a repair shop/dealership and risk being charged hundreds, gotta get this fixed myself. i'm mechanical enough that if someone can help me figure out the problem, i can fix it myself. and will happily pay more than $9 for that info.

Describe exactly where these wires are taped up and what are the color of the wires (pay close attention to the colors and stripes on the wires.)
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
when you open the rear hatch/liftgate/whatever you want to call it, at the top in the area that's usually covered when the the liftgate is down; just to the left of center, there's a rubber boot that runs from the body to the liftgate. the boot is covering a bundle of wires.

i pulled the boot off where it goes into the liftgate, and that's where the wires were taped. i can only see the end of the tape job, it goes back into the liftgate. from what i can see, the tape is just wrapped around the whole bundle, not any specific wires.

here, i found a picture online that may help. this isn't a wagon and there's a cargo cover in the way, but it's probably clearer than what i wrote above.

the red oval is circling the general area i'm talking about, if the cargo cover wasn't there.

the blue arrow is pointing to what looks to be the end of the rubber boot going into the liftgate, which is right where i can see the end of the tape job.

Lets just skip this wire harness issue for now and move on to the cluster lighting for a while. Most likely both are the same fault but we will need to verify for now.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
that's gonna have to wait until tomorrow...garage is too cramped and it's too late to be getting this involved right now. once the housemate leaves for work there will be space to move around in the garage.

i appreciate your help so far! i don't mean to be rude, just didn't expect to receive help this fast!

It was fast because I am not at work and have time to help you. Tomoorow I can t reply until after 5pm cst

Will get to the bottom of this with some testing.

Hear from you tommorrow!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
apologies for not getting back to this sooner. busy with work.

i don't have the right tools to really tear into the car, but was able to monkey around with a few things, none of which worked.

this morning, i was planning on heading to my bosses house - he's a car nut and has lots of tools. we were gonna look into things and try to trace the problem.

however, when i got in the car to head to his place, my dash lights and running lights were working again. i turned the lights on and off a number of times, and they actually did go back once, but when i turned the switch off and on again, they came right back on, and have come on - and stayed on - every time since.

so, problem solved for now. i'm certainly concerned that they'll go out on me again soon, but it's kinda hard to trace a problem you're not having, so i'll just have to wait and see.

thanks for taking some time to help me!
Your welcome