POWERSTROKE
POWERSTROKE, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  FORD DIESEL MASTER CERTIFIED, GAS ENGINE MASTER
6887356

Replace the heater core in a ford f250 with a 5.4 triton with air.

How do I replace the heater core in a ford f250 with a 5.4 triton with air.
Category: Ford
Expert:  POWERSTROKE replied 7 years ago.

Hello viciousp

Here is the procedure to make that repair. Hope all goes well

Removal and Installation

NOTE: If a heater core leak is suspected, the heater core must be leak-tested before it is removed from the vehicle. For additional information, refer to Section 412-00.

All vehicles

1. Drain the engine coolant. For additional information, refer to Section 303-03.
  1. Disconnect the heater hoses from the heater core.
    • Remove the quick disconnect clamps from the heater core.
  1. Disengage the stops and lower the glove compartment door.
  1. CAUTION: Do not attempt to bend any part of the panel/floor door lever. It is brittle and will break.

Remove the panel/floor door vacuum control motor.
    1. Disconnect the vacuum line.
    1. Remove the screws.
    1. Rotate the vacuum control motor to disengage the lever and remove the vacuum control motor.
  1. Remove the electronic blend door actuator and bracket assembly.
    1. Disconnect the electrical connector and remove the 2 screws.
    1. Rotate the blend door actuator and bracket assembly.
  1. Remove the 7 screws.
  1. Disconnect the wiring harness retainer from the heater core cover.
  1. CAUTION: The heater core cover must be raised vertically before removal to avoid damage to the heater core housing.

Remove the heater core cover.
    1. Raise the heater core cover.
    1. Remove the heater core cover.
  1. Remove the heater core.
  1. CAUTION: Position the temperature blend door manually to correctly align the actuator and the door. Do not power the actuator electrically. If it is not engaged with the temperature blend door, damage to the actuator can occur.

NOTE: Add gasket between housing and cover before installing cover.

To install, reverse the removal procedure.

6.0L diesel vehicles

1. NOTE: Carry out Steps 11 through 13 only if installing a new heater core due to a leak.

Flush the engine cooling system. For additional information, refer to Section 303-03.
  1. Release the clamp and disconnect the heater inlet hose at the engine.
  1. Install a coolant flow restrictor (E1DZ-18D358-B) in the heater inlet hose.
    1. Install the coolant flow restrictor approximately 127 mm (5 in) into the heater inlet hose with the tapered end facing toward the engine.
    1. Install a worm-drive type hose clamp around the restrictor to secure it in place.

All vehicles

1. Fill the engine cooling system. For additional information, refer to Section 303-03.

POWERSTROKE, Ford Mechanic
Experience: FORD DIESEL MASTER CERTIFIED, GAS ENGINE MASTER