Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

1999 ford windstar: ignition switch..The tilt steering wheel

Customer Question

A 1999 ford windstar key will not turn the ignition switch which it has done no problem until today. What could cause the problem? The tilt steering wheel was moved, which doesn't happen all the time? Thanks
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 8 years ago.

Hello I'm Chris a Ford Employee and Certified Engine/Transmission Specialist.

Thanks for asking your question. I am eager to get your vehicle back up and running correct, I am here to help you out for a small fee far less than a dealership and easier on the wallet, so if this information is of aid PLEASE PRESS ACCEPT and help me out financially by paying the small fee. Please reply if further discussion is needed.

Try to turn the steering wheel left to right while you try to turn the key. If this fails then the key is damaged or the ignition is damaged. The catch is to replace an ignition lock cylinder the easy way you must get it to the run position. With it still stuck i nthe lock position this means you will have to drill out the retainer pin to get out the ignition and install a new one or a built one that fits your key design.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
we had done as you suggested with no results. Thanks anyway.
Your welcome. This is why I posted a possible answer then the most likely fix needed.