AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

1997 Ford Ranger: the wipers dont work..didnt work

I have a 1997 Ford Ranger and the wipers dont work. I tried to start them one morning and they didnt work. Fuse is fine. Switch is fine. Motor new. Relays fine.
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 years ago.
Greetings!

Well sounds like have a bad motor. But it will need to be diagnosed. key on and wipers on check for voltage with a multimeter at the connector. Here a hint. A lot of times it is a bad ground. Do a voltage drop from the outside of the motor casing to the negative batt post while the wipers are on. if it is more than .5 of a volt than the motor does not have a sufficient enough of a ground to work. If so the connections will have to be cleaned and tightened up. Good luck!
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to AMEDEE's Post: I've replaced the motor. I get fire on the red wire when the ign. switch is on but do not get fire on any of the other wires when the wiper switch is on. The wiper switch has been replaced also.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 years ago.
What about a ground? Have you checked that?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I've ran a ground wire from the wiper motor to the - post of the battery
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 years ago.
What about on the other wires to the motor. I could be wrong, but the switch might provide the motor with a ground to turn on. WOuld you like a wiring diagram?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to AMEDEE's Post: Yes please
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 years ago.
Here you go! If you need help with the diagram, let me know!

graphic
graphic
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to AMEDEE's Post: I've also ran a ground wire to the switch still no luck
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 years ago.
OK, Good!

Now you are going to have to check all the inputs to the wiper motor. You are going to do this with the key on and the wiper switch in the on position. I would recommend in the high position.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I've get no fire though any of the other wires except the red wire when the ign. switch is turned on. I've used a ohm meter to ck the wires and they all ck out. What does the GEM module do?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 years ago.
The Generic Electronic module ground the two wiper relays.

You could try grounding the two wires coming out of the GEM module and see if the wipers work momentarily.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Where is the GEM module located?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 years ago.
The Generic Electronic Module/Central Timer Module is located behind center of the instrument panel.

graphic
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
If when the motor went bad could this have messed up the GEM module and cause my problem?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 years ago.
NO
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
So, I'm back where I started, but the fuse for the GEM will not light up and it is not shot. What should I check next?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 years ago.
Ground the gray with light blue wire at the GEM with the key on, and see if the wipers work momentarily.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
If they do or don't work momentarily what does this mean?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 years ago.
This means something in that circuit is not working correctly.

If they do work, than chances are the GEM module is not sending a signal.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
So if the work the GEM could be bad?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 years ago.
YES it is possible. But then you would have to make sure all the inputs are good to the GEM. But lets not worry about that yet. Lets check the circuit first!