david
david, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Certified Master Technician,Certified in diesel & gasoline engines
533087

Replace timing gear cover gasket on 1999 Ford F350 turbodiesel.

how to replace timing gear cover gasket on 1999 Ford F350 turbodiesel.
Category: Ford
Expert:  david replied 6 years ago.

thank you for your question hope this helps

Removing the timing gear cover involves removing the injection pump.
So we will start there.

1. Remove the engine oil filler neck.

2. Remove the bolts attaching injection pump to drive gear.

3. Disconnect battery ground cables from both batteries.

4. Disengage the electrical connectors to the injection pump.

5. Remove the fast idle solenoid bracket assembly to provide access to the injection pump mounting nuts.

6. Disconnect the accelerator cable and speed control cable from throttle lever, if so equipped.

7. Remove the air cleaner and install clean rags to prevent dirt from entering the intake manifold.

8. Remove the accelerator cable bracket, with cables attached, from the intake manifold and position out of the way. .

9. Remove the fuel filter-to-injection pump fuel line and cap the fittings.

10. Remove and cap the injection pump inlet elbow and the injection pump fitting adapter.

11. Remove the fuel return line on the injection pump, then rotate out of the way, and cap all fittings. .

12. Remove the fuel injection lines from the nozzles, and cap the lines and nozzles.

13. Remove the three nuts attaching the injection pump to the injection pump adapter using Tool T83T-9000-B.

14. If the injection pump is to be replaced, loosen the injection line retaining clips and the injection nozzle fuel lines with Tool T83T-9396-A and cap all fittings at this time with protective cap set T83T-9395-A or equivalent. Do not install the injection nozzle fuel lines until the new pump is installed in the engine.

15. Lift the injection pump, with the nozzle lines attached, up and out of the engine compartment.

All fuel lines and fittings must be capped using Fuel System Protective Cap Set T83T-9395-A or equivalent, to prevent fuel contamination

It is not necessary to remove injection lines from the injection pump. If lines are to be removed, loosen the injection line fittings at the injection pump before removing it from engine.

graphic
Throttle linkage-7.3L diesel engine

graphic
Diesel engine oil filter neck removal

graphic
Diesel injection pump drive gear attaching bolts

graphic
Diesel fast idle solenoid bracket

graphic
Removing the diesel fuel return line

graphic
Removing the diesel injection pump

graphic
Be sure to fit the alignment dowel on the pump into the hole in the drive gear

graphic
Diesel injection pump static timing marks

Now you can remove the timing gear cover.

graphic
Removing the diesel fan clutch using a puller (arrows)

graphic
Diesel front oil seal removal and installation using an arbor press

graphic
Diesel front cover sealer location

graphic
Front cover installation on diesels, showing the alignment dowels

graphic

Water pump-to-front cover installation on the diesel. The two top pump bolts must be no more than 11/4 in. (31.75mm) long

graphic
Tools needed for replacing the diesel front seal

graphic
Diesel front seal installation

graphic
7.3L diesel front cover alignment dowels

graphic
Removing the diesel fuel pump cam

1. Remove the air cleaner and cover the air intake on the manifold with clean rags. Do not allow any foreign material to enter the intake.

2. Remove the radiator fan shroud halves.

3. Remove the fan and fan clutch assembly. You will need a puller or Ford tool No. T83T-6312-A for this. The nut is a left-hand thread; remove by turning the nut CLOCKWISE.

4. Remove the water pump.

5. Jack up the truck and safely support it with jack stands.

6. Remove the crankshaft pulley and vibration damper

7. Remove the engine ground cables at the front of the engine.

8. Remove the five bolts attaching the engine front cover to the engine block and oil pan.

9. Lower the truck.

10. Remove the front cover.

The front cover oil seal on the diesel must be driven out with an arbor press and a 31/4 in. (82.5mm) spacer. Take the cover to a qualified machinist or engine specialist for this procedure. See also steps 14 and 15.

To install: Timing gear cover

Install the drive gear in position, aligning all the drive gear timing marks.

To determine that the No. 1 piston is at TDC of the compression stroke, position the injection pump drive gear dowel at the 4 o'clock position. The scribe line on the vibration damper should be at TDC. Use extreme care to avoid disturbing the injection pump drive gear, once it is in position.

Install the engine front cover. Apply a 1/8 in. (3mm) bead of RTV Sealant along the bottom surface of the injection pump adapter.

RTV should be applied immediately prior to adapter installation.

Install the injection pump adapter. Apply sealer to the bolt threads before assembly.

With the injection pump adapter installed, the injection pump drive gear cannot jump timing.

Install all removed components. Run the engine and check for leaks.

If necessary, purge the high pressure fuel lines of air by loosening the connector one half to one turn and crank the engine until a solid flow of fuel, free of air bubbles, flows from the connection.

To install: Injection Pump

1. Install a new O-ring on the drive gear end of the injection pump.

2. Move the injection pump down and into position.

3. Position the alignment dowel on injection pump into the alignment hole on drive gear.

4. Install the bolts attaching the injection pump to drive gear and tighten.

5. Install the nuts attaching injection pump to adapter. Align scribe lines on the injection pump flange and the injection pump adapter and tighten to 14 ft. lbs. (19 Nm).

6. If the injection nozzle fuel lines were removed from the injection pump install at this time, refer to the Injection Lines installation procedure in this section.

7. Remove the caps from nozzles and the fuel lines and install the fuel line nuts on the nozzles and tighten to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm).

8. Connect the fuel return line to injection pump and tighten the nuts.

9. Install the injection pump fitting adapter with a new O-ring.

10. Clean the old sealant from the injection pump elbow threads, using clean solvent, and dry thoroughly. Apply a light coating of pipe sealant to the elbow threads.

11. Install the elbow in the injection pump adapter and tighten to a minimum of 72 inch lbs. (8 Nm). Then tighten further, if necessary, to align the elbow with the injection pump fuel inlet line, but do not exceed 360 degrees of rotation or 10 ft. lbs. (13 Nm).

12. Remove the caps and connect the fuel filter-to-injection pump fuel line.

13. Install the accelerator cable bracket on the intake manifold.

14. Remove the rags from the intake manifold and install the air cleaner.

15. Connect the accelerator and speed control cable, if so equipped, to the throttle lever.

16. Install the fast idle solenoid bracket assembly.

17. Install the electrical connectors on injection pump.

18. Clean the injection pump adapter and oil filler neck sealing surfaces.

19. Apply a 1/8 in. (3mm) bead of RTV sealant on the adapter housing.

20. Install the oil filler neck and tighten the bolts.

21. Connect the battery ground cables to both batteries.

22. Run the engine and check for fuel leaks.

23. If necessary, purge high pressure fuel lines of air by loosening connector one half to one turn and cranking engine until solid fuel, free from bubbles flows from connection.

Hope this helps.
Any other questions
Just Ask

david, Auto Service Technician
Experience: Certified Master Technician,Certified in diesel & gasoline engines