j_ramsey
j_ramsey, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified engine repair a/c steering suspension automatic trans
6751554

15 amp fuse for HEGO sensor and automatic trans. keeps blow.

Customer Question

overdrive off light comes on, and fuse blows. when this happpens truck runs very rough. truck stopped running altogether today. what is wrong
Category: Ford
Expert:  j_ramsey replied 6 years ago.
What year,make and model is the vehicle ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
2001 ford f150 6 cylinderXXXXX
I changed one HEGO sensor, how many does truck have,
could this be the problem?
Expert:  j_ramsey replied 6 years ago.
Which fuse number are you blowing ? I have your vehicle info here on my screen.
j_ramsey, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE certified engine repair a/c steering suspension automatic trans
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
#23 under the hood
Expert:  j_ramsey replied 6 years ago.
Alright, I'm with you now. The HEGO is the one at the catalytic converter. Try this, unplug the HEGO at the catalytic converter and put a fuse in, did it blow the fuse ? If so then you will have a problem inside your transmission that I ran into when rebuilding a 99 explorer 5R55E transmission a few days ago. The wire coating to the speed sensor and the shift solenoids in the transmission deteriorates allowing the bare wires to touch. You should be able to take the pan off, remove the one bolt holding the filter and then you can see the valvebody wiring harness. The harness is available .
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the truck won't start at all now. the fuse won't blow until it is started. any suggestions
Expert:  j_ramsey replied 6 years ago.
That is odd that it will not start with it unplugged. So, the fuse blows after started and the truck will not run with the sensor unplugged,which is about the same thing as the fuse being blown.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
last reply and I'll accept... When I go to the parts store do I ask for a valvebody wiring harness or does it have a different name? Thanks so much.
Expert:  j_ramsey replied 6 years ago.
I don't believe there was an oxygen sensor problem ,was your check engine light on before ? I would pull the pan and filter off first to make sure the wires have lost the protective coating. It is a valvebody wiring harness.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It comes on at the same time the OD off light starts
flashing. It was not on at anytime before. I just went out one morning and started the truck and the problem just started, no warning, the truck was fine up to that point.
Expert:  j_ramsey replied 6 years ago.
You might try doing it the other way around,remove the plug to the driver side of the transmission . Not the black sensor at the shift linkage,but the plug into the transmission. Now see if it will start without blowing the fuse( with the HEGO plugged in).
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Where is this plug located
Expert:  j_ramsey replied 6 years ago.
Above the pan at the driver side front corner.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There is no valve body wiring harness on this truck. Ford stopped using wires and now uses a molded plastic piece. Other suggestions?
Expert:  j_ramsey replied 6 years ago.
graphicWhich transmission pan do you have ?graphicgraphic