Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

my 2000 ford explorer wont start. it ran fine and i ...

Customer Question

my 2000 ford explorer wont start. it ran fine and i parked it and now it will not start. I have check the battery (fine) fuel pump (fine) the only problem I noticed it didn't seem as though spark was getting to the plugs any suggestion
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
is the anti theft light flashing?
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
everything in the car works fine. it sounds like it is going to start but wont
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
Your anti theft transciver has gone bad. It is a dealer item and can be relpace with any programming
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
is there a way to shut it off without taking it in? in order to get the car started
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.

No it can not be over ridden. It will have to be fixed first

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
is it not something i can do myself and how expensive is this
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
Depending on your skill level. Its a mater of unpluging the old one and replugging the new one. Its is a dealer part , not sure of its cost. It doesn't require any programming. It is located middle of dash above consol
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
can you tell where it is located or will my manual tell me
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
Its located in the middle of dash, drivers side above centre consol.
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you so much
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.

Your very welcome.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ron are you available to answer some more questions? We looked at the explorer and I was wrong the light was not flashing. Any other suggestions
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.

Let me ask you this then How cold is the weather there where you explore is located

Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
It is possiable if its really cold and it didnt start right way u could have fuel fouled the spark plugs. Sometime this can be corrected by holding the gas pedal to the floor while cranking till eng starts. If this dosnt work you will have to pull the plugs out and clean or replace them
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Ron's Post: it is in the 70's and 80's
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the local ford guy said it could be the crank or cam sensor...does that make sense...and are they hard to replace
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
Yes it could be but the next step is your going to have to scan the system and retrive any or all codes. If you can get me the code or code I will try to be of futher help.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
how do i get the system scanned? Is that something I have to take the car into the ford garage to have done
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
Well maybe but Atuto Zone and Checkers do it for free