Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

how to replace starter in 2001 ford explorer

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 8 years ago.

Do you have a 4.0 or 5.0?

2wd or 4wd?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Chris (aka- Moose)'s Post: it's a 4.0 automatic

Hello I'm Chris a Ford Employee and Certified Engine/Transmission Specialist.

Thanks for asking your question. I am eager to get your vehicle back up and running correct, I am here to help you out for a small fee far less than a dealership and easier on the wallet, so if this information is of aid PLEASE PRESS ACCEPT and help me out financially by paying the small fee. Please reply if further discussion is needed.

The access to the starter is a little tight but not very difficult to replace.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Chris (aka- Moose)'s Post: can't get to the top bolt, it's too tight. do i need to drop the drive shaft?
I asked previosly if you had 4x4 but you did not state yes or no so I assumed no. Yes removeing the driveshaft will make the removal musch easier. Thanks for repling for clarification.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
sorry, i missed the 4x4 question. i have a very frustrated husband under a truck right now, and i keep running back to the garage to relay this info to him. He wants to know if its necessary to remove the drive shaft. Someone gave him a swivel joint for his ratchet to get that bolt off, but still can't make the ratchet work. He's wondering that even if he would get the bolt off, will the starter even come off without removing the drive shaft. thanks!
It will be able to come out and it can be removed with out taking the driveshaft out. But you will hear your husband curse and beat the bottom of the explorer with a hammer. The starter on this model is tuff to access and tuff to get out. Removing the driveshaft definitely does help.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i've already heard it, trust me! he's wondering how in God's green earth is the starter coming out even if the drive shaft is dropped, because there is still the 2 inch spline on the front axle where the universal bolts into. also he broke the t25(27?) start bolt tool he needs to drop the drive shaft, so looks like that may have to wait until tomorrow since stores are all closed....
It will come out. Tommorow when he starts to remove the driveshaft again. He may need to heat the axle yoke to allow the 4 strap bolts to come out easier.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
he's going to trust you on this one, and drop the drive shaft, and heat up bolts so he doesn't break any more tools. i hate these "15 minute" jobs that end up taking him 5 hours to do.
thanks for all your help.
never used this site before.... don't know if i need to click on reply or accept at this point to pay you for your time.... thank's again.
To pay me you must hit accept. You can still reply tommorow if needed after an accept.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
he just came up again and said he's calling a tow truck in the morning....
Your welcome. Tell him not to give up that quick.