HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

2004 Expedition: electric drivers seat..wont move

I have a 2004 Expedition/w electric driver's seat.
The seat does not work all the time. Sometimes it will move to the set position and others it won't move at all. A couple of times it moved me sll the way up to the steeringwheel. The two times I have taken it in to ourf local Ford shop I am told it is working just fine. Please help - being a woman everyone seems to think it is all in my mind.

There is a technical service bulletin out for this concern:

TSB 05-18-14

09/22/05

DRIVERS FRONT POWER SEAT WILL NOT MOVE FORWARD OR REARWARD

FORD:
2003-2005 Expedition

LINCOLN:
2003-2005 Navigator

This article supersedes TSB 05-9-4 to update the part information and Service Procedure.

ISSUE
Some 2003-2005 Expedition/Navigator vehicles built before 12/06/2004 with memory seats may exhibit the driver's power seat binding in the full rearward position and becoming inoperative in forward and reverse. This may be due to the horizontal seat motor and memory seat position sensor (potentiometer) on vehicles built before 10/16/2003, or due to the potentiometer (only) on vehicles built between 10/16/2003 and 12/05/2004.

ACTION
If the vehicle was built before 10/16/2003, inspect the horizontal motor bracket under the seat. If the bracket has bends on either side of the seat motor, install a horizontal seat motor kit. If the vehicle already has a straight bracket, or if the vehicle was built between 10/16/2003 and 12/05/2004, install a seat potentiometer kit only. Refer to the following Service Procedure.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

NOTE WHEN INSTALLING A MOTOR KIT, THE SEAT TRACK FRONT COVER MUST ALSO BE REPLACED. THE ORIGINAL SEAT TRACK FRONT COVER WILL NOT FIT ON THE NEWER MOTOR ASSEMBLY BEING INSTALLED.

NOTE FOR 2003 NAVIGATOR VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A BLACK INTERIOR, ORDER THE DOVE GRAY SEAT TRACK FRONT COVER AND PAINT TO MATCH (BLACK INK).

REMOVAL - SEAT MOTOR ASSEMBLY OR POTENTIOMETER

1.Position the driver seat all the way up.

2.Remove the seat track front cover.

3.Check vehicle build date.

a.If built between 10/16/2003 and 12/05/2004, only a potentiometer kit will need to be installed. Proceed to Step 4.

b.If built before 10/16/2003, inspect the horizontal seat motor bracket (cross bar) to determine if a motor kit is needed, or only a potentiometer kit.

Basically you would have to replace a potentiometer and some cables on the front of the seat motor.

graphic

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to HDGENE's Post: I believe that this problem was already taken care of. My problem is that the memory for the seat does not work all the time. Why would it move me all the way up to the steering wheel when I first put the key in? (no one else had been driving the car to change the memory setting.
Thanks so much for your replying so fast.
Robin

Did you try reprogramming the memory seat settings?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to HDGENE's Post: Yes - but it will still do crazy things. Some times I will set it to a new setting and it will sometimes go back to the regular setting instead of the new setting. Not to mention not moving at all sometimes or go forward all the way up to the steering wheel. I can't believe that I am the only one in the world with this problem.
Thanks for trying.
Post your complete VIN number and ill check to see if there are any specific problems with vehicle
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
had to get the info. The vin is 1FMPU18L24LA80148; I am so frustrated!!!! The stupid seat tried to run me into the steering wheel, my knees were touching the lower part of the dashboard, I know that that setting has never been used by us!!!!!
Ok nothing else comes up other than the tsb i posted. What would need to be done is a diagnostic check for codes of the drivers seat control module to see what code(s) may be stored first.