HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

1998 Expedition: glove box..the actuator motor running..temperature

I have no heat in my 1998 Expedition. I can not see the actuator or the door that it operates thru the glove box opening. I can hear the actuator motor running when I turn the temperature knob from hot to cold and back. If, after the temperature reaches the normal operating temp. I can accelerate very hard, like hard enought for the passing gear to kick in and hold it for a few seconds and then there will be heat and the air will stay hot even if I switch the vehicle off and restart. The air will stay hot until the vehicle is parked for several hours. I have checked the vacuum lines from the engine to the fire wall and can see no cracks or broXXXXX XXXXXnes. What should I do now? Help please.
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 9 years ago.
There is an electronic actuator on the center bottom of the dash for the cold/hot door. Verify both heater hoses are hot when you have no heat.You may have a plugged heater core from what it sounds like.the acutators go bad but you hear them click when the gear strips or they dont work at all.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I will check the heater hoses and let you know. I also should have told you about the A/C problem that may be related. The A/C will blow out hot air when the vehicle is at normal temp. when I accelerate from a stop light and will stay hot until my speed levels off. This seems to be intermitting.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 9 years ago.
It may still be a temperature blend door actuator. Verify both when you demand heat and it is not hot that both hoses are hot and also when you have the ac on and it blows warm that the large diameter ac line is ice cold.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I checked both heater hoses and they were both hot right next to the fire wall and the large A/C line was cold when hot air was still blowing out.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 9 years ago.
Then the temperature blend door is not moving. You will need to remove the center console if equipped to gain access to the lower center of the dash to replace the white colored temp blend door acutator. it sits upside down in the ac/heater box and is held in place by a few 8mm bolts and one electrical connector.very common concern.