HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

1998 Lincoln town car: charging..Tried: new battery and new alternator

Customer Question

My Lincoln Town car has a charging problem though I changed the battery and the alternator, what else can I do please, and thank you.

Optional Information:
1998 Lincoln town car

Already Tried:
new battery and new alternator
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 9 years ago.
It doesnt charge at all? Does the battery light in the dash come on when the key is turned to on and stay on when running?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to HDGENE's Post: both the battery and the alternator are brand new. they were replaced after i got stuck with a dead battery one day.the red battery indicator is still on even with a full charge. the car will drive for 20 or so min then the instruments will go haywire and the car will stop. when the battery is checked it is very low has to be placed on charge.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 9 years ago.
Do you have battery voltage to the large red wire at the altenator and power at any of the 3 wire connector on the back of the altenator?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to HDGENE's Post: I remember when i first replaced the altenator i tested it and it was reading around 10 amps
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to HDGENE's Post: I remember when i first replaced the altenator i tested it and it was reading around 10 amps are there any fuse in the link wires or other things i should check
Expert:  HDGENE replied 9 years ago.
not amperage,looking for battery voltage to run the altenator at the large red wire and any on the thre wire connector.supply voltage.you need to retest the circuit first to see if the altenator is getting power for it to charge.Depending on what you have or dont have will tell me where you need to look next.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I Tested the voltage at the large red wire it came back 12 volts, then i tested the small clip with three prongs and only two wires it came back with 0 volts no juice on that side. is there a relay or a fuse that could be blown out? if so where is it?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 9 years ago.

There are two fuses in the circuit for the three wire connector, two should be hot, check the diagram below for the fuses and location, one is in the interior fuse panel and the other is in the underhood fuse box.

graphic