Jim
Jim, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Technician with 30 years in the Automotive Field.
5668621

2005 ford f-350 6.0, changed cam sensor, stalling and dying ...

2005 ford f-350 6.0, changed cam sensor, stalling and dying problem returned in 2 days.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jim replied 9 years ago.

Hello.... So your have a stalling problem.... Have you tried to pull codes from the computer? If not do so... Also I want you to do this TSB below... Check the fuses and see if that helps.....

Printable View (24 KB)
TSB
05-11-14
  • VARIOUS ELECTRICAL AND/OR DRIVEABILITY SYMPTOMS AND/OR DTCS - PDB MINI FUSE LOOSE - VEHICLES BUILT BEFORE 05/11/2005
Publication Date: May 31, 2005

FORD:2005 F-Super Duty

ISSUE:

Some 2005 F-Series Super Duty vehicles built before 05/11/2005 may exhibit various electrical and/or driveability symptoms and/or diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) (see TSB chart). Vehicle symptoms may be intermittent or present at all times. This may be due to the mini fuses being incorrectly installed, within the under-hood power distribution box (PDB).

ACTION:

Install fuses correctly. Refer to the following Service Procedure.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

NOTE:FUSES THAT ARE MISS-INSTALLED WILL BE EASY TO PULL OUT (LOOSE), OR MAY EVEN WIGGLE WITH SLIGHT FINGER PRESSURE.

1. Inspect the under-hood PDB mini fuses for miss-installation, refer to (Figure 1, incorrect installation) and (Figure 2, correct installation). The blades of the fuse must be installed into the receiving terminals of the fuse box.
  2. Clear DTCs. If DTCs remain, follow normal diagnostic procedures.

Figure 1 - Article 05-11-14

Figure 2 - Article 05-11-14

Fuse #RatingDescriptionSymptomDTC
    920ATrailer Tow TurnTT Turn InoperativeNone
    1010APCM Keep Alive PowerMIL Light On, Canister Vent Solenoid Inoperative, Engine off Natural Vacuum EVAP Testing InoperativeP1633, P0446
    1110AABSSpeedometer Bounce/Drops, ABS Light Flash/On, Cruise Control InoperativeIC/TBC-U1900, IC-U2023, PCM-P0500-P0503
    122ABPSCruise Control Inoperative/TBC Fault Cluster Display, ChimeC2803
    1315ADRL ResistorDRL InoperativeNone
    1515AFICM LogicCrank No Start, Buck & Jerk, Engine Stopped While DrivingP2614, P2617, P1378
    1710AAC ClutchAC Inoperative/Not ColdNone
    1810AFICM RelayCrank No Start, Buck & Jerk, Engine Stopped While DrivingP2614, P2617, P1378, P0611
    2010ATrailer Tow Back-UpTT back Up Lamp InoperativeNone

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage

DEALER CODING

BASIC PART NO.CONDITION CODE
14526X2

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Jim's Post: took truck to shop, ran perfect for 2 days then tarted doing the same thing again. The technician said the computer had to reset. He changed the cam sensor and some other sensor.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
truck idles perfect, revs up, put it in gear and it bucks and dies
Expert:  Jim replied 9 years ago.
You could have a chaffed wiring harness which is shorting out for a split second causing the computer to reset every time.. If this is happening then it will need a new harness.. But there are 6 different harnesses that can cause this issue.. The problem comes in identifying which one is the actual problem... But I would start with the TSB I sent you then go and wiggle test the harness on the engine and on the drivers side fender down to the fuel pump on the rail.. But I have not ran into any 6.0 that needed a cam or crank sensor.. Their failure rate is almost non existent...
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
But why did the truck run great for 2 days out of the shop and then start back. Last reply then I will gladly pay for your time. By the way, I took off the positive cables overnight, the truck ran fine for about 3 minutes, then started back with the same thing. Thanks
Expert:  Jim replied 9 years ago.
Because short circuits are intermittent at times... One day it could run great for 1 min to 24 hours.. Then it vibrates or hits a bump just right and bang back to running terrible... I had one that intermittently it would missfire then run great and might run great for a week... It was a shorted injector harness.. It would vibrate and touch ground on the engine then not touch just at random.. Shorts can be hard to find and sometimes there found in minutes.... Disconnecting the battery erases the computers KAM (Keep Alive Memory) This is all its learned parameters.. Then It starts in open loop which is perset parameters and takes a few minutes to go to closed loop and start looking at input sensors etc...