j_ramsey
j_ramsey, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified engine repair a/c steering suspension automatic trans
6751554

I have a 2001 ford escort zx2. The tail lights wont go off.

No Comment Added
You have a problem with your brake switch on the pedal under the dash,either the switch has come loose from its bracket or it is bad.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to j_ramsey's Post: So what do I do now?
You will need to remove the cover under the driver side of the dash so you can get in the floor board where you can look behind the dash at the top of the brake pedal arm to see the brake switch. You need to see if it has just came loose from its bracket ,if it is still in place next remove the electrical plug from the brake switch. If the brake lights went off then you will need to replace the brake light switch.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to j_ramsey's Post: Even though no break light is showing on the dashboard/control panel?
Are you talking about brake lights staying on or the running lights (front and rear lights ) ?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to j_ramsey's Post: I am talking about the rear/tail lights. And if the culprit is the brake switch you are talking about, is there a temporary fix until I can take the car in to be checked tomorrow?
Yes, you should be able to locate your fuse panel and remove the brake fuse. Just rear lights is the brake light switch I was talking about. Just remove the fuse so your battery doesn't go dead. You will have to put the fuse back in to go anywhere because the brake switch also controls the shift lock so you can move your shifter out of park.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to j_ramsey's Post: Thank you so much. However, unfortunately my fuse box does not have a cap on it to identify which fuse is/are for the rear lights. can you help?
The pictures I have show them to be labeled on the fuse box. It looks like you have three rows of fuses together with five fuses in each row.It should be the closest row towards the front of the car -the very top right corner.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to j_ramsey's Post: You don't happen to know/see the number on that particular fuse? Because my fuses do show numbers on them.
I can give you a direct link to where you can get a copy of the owners manual for free with a picture of the panel. You will have to get the copy for the regular escort though. https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/owners_manuals/results.asp
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Is the maintenance on the brake switch expensive? And thank you so much for all your help.
Should be around $35 for the switch. Labor depends on who you take it to if you don't replace it yourself.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thanks. And God bless!
Not a problem . Glad I could help.