Jaxer Smith
Jaxer Smith, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  17 Years Experience and presently own and operate an auto repair service center
4387830

i need to change my oil pan gasket on a 1999 mercury ...

i need to change my oil pan gasket on a 1999 mercury sable. is there going to be a lot involved or can i just drop the pan and replace the gasket?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jaxer Smith replied 7 years ago.

Looks pretty straight forward. I have included instructions below.

Please click Accept Now.

Oil Pan

Removal & Installation

3.0L (2V)

To Remove:

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the oil level dipstick.
  3. Raise and safely support the vehicle.
  4. Drain the engine oil.
  5. Remove the starter motor and brace.
  6. Disconnect the heated oxygen sensors.
  7. Remove the dual converter Y pipe from the manifolds.
  8. Remove the engine rear plate from the converter housing.
  9. Remove the oil pan mounting bolts.
  10. Carefully remove the oil pan making sure the pan baffle does not snag the oil pump pick-up screen and tube.

To Install:

1. Clean the gasket surfaces on the cylinder block and oil pan.

NOTE: When using silicone sealer, assembly the part within four minutes of the application of the sealer. After this time, the sealer may start to set-up, and its sealing effectiveness may be reduced.

2. Apply a 1/4-inch bead of silicone gasket sealant at the junction of the rear main bearing cap and cylinder block and junction of the engine front cover and cylinder block.
  3. Locate the oil pan gasket to the oil pan with sealing bends against oil pan surface. Secure with gasket and trim adhesive.
  4. Install the oil pan on the engine. Tighten the bolts to 89-123 lb-in (10-14 Nm).
  5. Back off all bolts and retighten.
  6. Install the engine rear plate to the converter housing.
  7. Install the dual converter Y pipe. Connect the heated oxygen sensor connectors.
  8. Install the starter motor and brace.
  9. Safely lower the vehicle.
  10. Install the oil level dipstick.
  11. Connect the negative battery cable.
  12. Fill crankcase with the correct viscosity and amount of engine oil.
  13. Start the engine and check for exhaust or oil leaks.
3.0L (4V)

To Remove:

1. Safely raise and support the vehicle.
  2. Remove the exhaust Y pipe from the manifolds.
  3. Drain the engine oil from the engine.
  4. Reinstall the drain plug with a new gasket.
  5. Remove the oil pan mounting bolts from the transaxle housing.
  6. Remove the access plug from the engine rear plate.
  7. Remove transaxle support bracket from the oil pan and transaxle.
  8. Remove the oil pan mounting bolts and studs following the removal sequence as shown.
  9. Remove and discard the oil pan gasket.
  10. Remove oil pump pick-up screen and tube from the engine and oil pump.
Oil pan bolt removal sequence (3.0L (4V) engine)

To Install:

1. Inspect oil pump pick-up screen and O-ring for damage and/or wear. Replace O-ring as necessary.
  2. Install the oil pump pick-up screen and tube with O-ring to oil pump. Tighten mounting bolts to 15-22 lb-ft (20-30 Nm).
  3. Install a new self-locking nut to lower cylinder block stud. Tighten the nut to 71-106 lb-in (8-12 Nm).
  4. Clean oil pan with suitable soap and water solution. Dry completely with compressed air. Inspect oil pan for damage. Replace oil pan as necessary.
  5. Clean oil pan to lower cylinder block sealing surfaces on oil pan and lower cylinder blocks with shop towel and Metal Surface Cleaner F4AZ-19A536-RA or equivalent meeting Ford specification WSE-M5B392-A to remove all residues that may interfere with the sealers ability to adhere.
  6. Install a new oil pan gasket, and apply an 8 mm (0.31 inch) diameter bead of Black Silicone Sealer F4AZ-19562-B or equivalent meeting Ford specification WSE-M4G323-A1 on oil pan gasket as shown in the illustration.
  7. Install oil pan and oil pan retaining bolts and studs to lower cylinder blocks in locations shown. Push the oil pan against the transaxle case and tighten oil pan to transaxle bolts finger tight. Tighten oil pan retaining bolts and studs in sequence shown to 20-30 Nm (15-22 lb-ft). Tighten oil pan to transaxle bolts to 34-46 Nm (25-33 lb-ft).
    Oil pan bolt installation sequence (3.0L (4V) engine)

8. Install the transaxle support bracket to the oil pan retaining stud bolts and transaxle. Tighten the mounting nuts to 71-106 lb-in (8-12 Nm). Tighten the bolts to 15-22 lb-ft (20-30 Nm).
  9. Install the access plug in the rear plate.
  10. Install the exhaust Y pipe.
  11. Replace the oil filter.
  12. Lower the vehicle.
  13. Fill the crankcase with the correct amount of engine oil.
  14. Run the engine and check for leaks.
3.4L (SHO)

To Remove:

2. Raise and safely support the vehicle with jackstands.
  3. Drain the engine oil.
  4. Remove the dual catalytic converter Y-pipe.
  5. Reinstall the oil pan drain plug using a new gasket and tighten to 15-25 ft. lbs. (20-34 Nm).
  6. Remove the oil pan retaining bolts from the transaxle housing.
  7. Remove the oil pan retaining bolts from the lower cylinder block.
  8. Remove the oil pan and the oil pan gasket from the vehicle.

To Install:

1. Clean the oil pan to lower cylinder block gasket sealing surfaces.
  2. Thoroughly clean the oil pan and mating surfaces with soap and water and dry completely with compressed air.
  3. Clean the mating surfaces with Metal Surface Cleaner F4AZ9A536-RA or equivalent to remove all the residues that may cause oil leakage.
  4. Apply a 0.16 inch (4mm) bead of silicone sealer on the oil pan sealing surface where the oil pan, the engine front cover and cylinder block contact.
    Apply silicone gasket sealant to the oil pan as shown

Oil pan mounting bolt installation sequence (3.4L SHO)

5. Carefully install the oil pan and tighten the bolts in the sequence shown to 14-20 ft. lbs. (18-28 Nm). Tighten the oil pan-to-transaxle bolts to 25-33 ft. lbs. (34-46 Nm).
  6. Install the dual converter Y-pipe assembly.
  7. Replace the engine oil filter.
  8. Lower the vehicle.
  9. Fill the crankcase with the correct amount and grade of engine oil.
  10. Connect the negative battery cable. Run the engine and check for leaks and proper operation.
Jaxer Smith, Auto Mechanic
Experience: 17 Years Experience and presently own and operate an auto repair service center