Jerry, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic with over 30 years experience with N.Y.P.D. fleet service division
1699649

in a 1988 ford 460 cu in engine what should the ...

in a 1988 ford 460 cu in engine what should the compression be the hot idle oil pressure should be
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jerry replied 9 years ago.
Hi Hotdogia,I looked up the specs for you engine. The oil pressure specs that Ford released for the engine is 40-65 psi at 2000 hot. The give not spec for hot idle ,but a rule of thumb is 10 psi per 1000 rpm minimum. It hot idle you should at least have 5 psi.T They also don't give a number for compression psi., only that the cylinders all should be within 25% of each other.The compression ratio on that motor is 8 to1. A reading of 165 would be fine, any one cylinder that is 25% or more below would indicate a problem. Even if they all read at least 140 psi and were even I would say you have no problem.