Jaxer Smith
Jaxer Smith, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  17 Years Experience and presently own and operate an auto repair service center

NEED TIMING BELT SPECS & SCHEMATIC FOR 2000 FORD FOCUS WITH ...

NEED TIMING BELT SPECS & SCHEMATIC FOR 2000 FORD FOCUS WITH A 2.0 DOHC MOTOR
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jaxer Smith replied 6 years ago.
2.0L (VIN 3) Engine

When installing a timing belt, tensioner spring (6L277) and retaining bolt (W700001-S309) must be purchased and properly installed on the engine. First, check to see if these parts are already installed. The tensioner spring will adjust the timing belts tension and should not require further adjustments.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the engine air intake resonators.
  3. Label and remove the ignition wires from the spark plugs. Move the ignition wires aside.
  4. Remove the spark plugs.
  5. Manually rotate the crankshaft to Top Dead Center (TDC) for the No. 1 piston on its compression stroke. Be sure to align the timing marks.
  6. Disconnect the retaining bracket for the power steering pressure hose from the engine lifting eye.
  7. Install the Three Bar Engine Support D88L-6000-A, onto the engine lifting eyes and slightly raise the engine.
  8. Remove the upper camshaft timing belt cover retaining bolts and the cover from the engine.

NOTE: Mark the location of the upper front engine support bracket before removing it from the engine support bracket.

9. Remove the upper front engine support bracket retainer nuts, the bracket and the upper front engine support insulator.
  10. If equipped, remove the wiring harness connector from the low coolant level sensor at the radiator coolant recovery reservoir.
  11. Remove the radiator coolant recovery reservoir retainers and move the reservoir aside.
  12. Remove the upper front engine support insulator.
  13. Set the coolant recovery reservoir back into position temporarily.
  14. Loosen the water pump pulley retaining bolts. Do not remove the bolts completely.
  15. Remove the accessory drive belt.
  16. Remove the drive belt idler pulley retaining bolt and pulley from the alternator mounting bracket.
  17. Finish removing the water pump retaining bolts and remove the water pump pulley.
  18. Remove the center camshaft timing belt cover retaining bolts and the cover from the engine.
  19. Remove the crankshaft pulley.
  20. Remove the lower camshaft timing belt cover bolts and the cover from the engine.
  21. Remove the valve cover as follows:
    1. Disconnect the crankcase ventilation tube from the valve cover.
    2. Remove the retaining bolt and nut for the power steering pressure hose retaining bracket and move the hose aside.
    3. Remove the valve cover retaining bolts in a standard removal sequence starting from the outside of the valve cover and working toward the inside of the valve cover.
    4. Remove the valve cover and gasket from the engine.
  22. Place Camshaft Alignment Timing Tool T94P-6256-CH, into the slots of both camshafts at the rear of the cylinder head to lock the camshafts into position.
  23. Loosen the camshaft timing belt tensioner pulley retaining bolt and move the tensioner pulley to relieve the tension on the timing belt.
  24. Temporarily tighten the tensioner in this position.

NOTE: If the timing belt is to be reused, mark the belt for the direction of rotation before removing to prevent premature wear or failure.

25. Remove the timing belt.
  26. If required, remove the sprockets as follows:
    1. Hold the camshaft with the Camshaft Sprocket Holding Tool T74P-6256-B.
    2. Loosen and remove the camshaft sprocket retaining bolt.
    3. Remove the sprocket from the camshaft.
    4. Repeat the procedure for the 2nd camshaft sprocket.
    5. Remove the crankshaft sprocket.
      Fig. 5: Crankshaft alignment position - Ford 2.0L (VIN 3) engines

Fig. 6: Placement of Camshaft Alignment Timing Tool T94P-6256-CH - Ford 2.0L (VIN 3) engines

To install:

27. Slide the crankshaft sprocket onto the crankshaft aligning the keyway.
  28. Align the camshafts using the Camshaft Alignment Timing Tool T94P-6256-CH.
  29. Reinstall the sprockets onto the camshafts and loosely install the camshaft retaining bolts.
  30. Tighten the camshaft sprocket retaining bolts to 47-53 ft. lbs. (64-72 Nm).
  31. Loosely install the crankshaft pulley to verify that the engine is at TDC. Realign the marks if they have moved.
  32. Verify that the camshafts are aligned.

NOTE: It is recommended to purchase a tensioner spring and retaining bolt through the dealer parts to apply the proper tension for used or new belt installations. The spring is bolted to the tensioner assembly and becomes a part of the engine. Ignore this notice if the tensioner spring is already installed.

33. Reinstall the retaining bolt (W700001-S309) into the hole provided in the cylinder block and place the tensioner spring (6L277) between the bolt and the camshaft timing belt tensioner pulley.
  34. Tighten the retainer bolt to 71-97 inch lbs. (8-11 Nm).
  35. Remove the crankshaft pulley and install the timing belt onto the crankshaft sprocket, then onto the camshaft sprockets working in a counterclockwise direction.
  36. Tighten the camshaft sprocket retaining bolts to 47-53 ft. lbs. (64-72 Nm).
  37. Be sure that the span of the camshaft timing belt between the crankshaft sprocket and the exhaust camshaft sprocket is not loose.
  38. Be sure that the camshaft timing belt is securely aligned on all sprockets.
  39. Reinstall the lower timing belt cover and tighten the retaining bolts to 53-71 inch lbs. (6-8 Nm).
  40. Apply silicone sealer to the keyway of the crankshaft pulley and install. Tighten the retaining bolt to 81-89 ft. lbs. (110-120 Nm).
  41. Inspect the timing mark on the crankshaft pulley to verify that the engine is still at TDC.
  42. Loosen the camshaft timing belt tensioner pulley retaining bolt and allow the tensioner spring attached to the pulley to draw the tensioner pulley against the camshaft timing belt.
  43. Remove the camshaft alignment timing tool from the camshafts at the rear of the engine.
  44. Turn the crankshaft two revolutions in a clockwise direction.
  45. Tighten the camshaft timing belt tensioner pulley retaining bolt to 26-30 ft. lbs. (35-40 Nm).
  46. Recheck that the crankshaft timing mark is at TDC for the No. 1 piston, and that both camshafts are in alignment using the camshaft alignment timing tool.

NOTE: A slight adjustment of the camshafts to allow the insertion of the camshaft alignment timing tool is permissible as long as the crankshaft stays at the TDC location.

47. Camshaft Sprocket Holding Tool T74P-6256-b can be used to move the camshaft sprocket(s) if a slight adjustment is required.
  48. If a camshaft is not properly aligned, perform the following procedure:
    1. Loosen the retaining bolt securing the sprocket to the camshaft while holding the camshaft sprocket from turning with the sprocket holding tool.
    2. Turn the camshaft until the camshaft alignment timing tool can be installed.
    3. Verify that the crankshaft timing mark is at TDC for the No. 1 cylinder.
    4. While holding the camshaft sprocket with the camshaft sprocket holding tool, tighten the retaining bolt to 47-53 ft. lbs. (64-72 Nm).
    5. Remove the tool and rotate the crankshaft two revolutions (clockwise).
    6. Verify that the camshafts are aligned and that the crankshaft is at TDC for the No. 1 cylinder.
  49. Reinstall the valve cover as follows:
    1. Clean the gasket sealing surfaces.
    2. Inspect the valve cover gasket and O-rings; replace as required.
    3. Reinstall the valve cover retaining bolts and tighten them in a standard sequence starting from the center and working towards the outside of the valve cover to 53-71 inch lbs. (6-8 Nm).
    4. Reinstall the power steering hose retaining bracket and the power steering hose.
    5. Reinstall the crankcase ventilation tube to the valve cover.
  50. Position the center camshaft timing belt cover.
  51. Reinstall the center camshaft timing belt cover retaining bolts and tighten them to 53-71 inch lbs. (6-8 Nm).
  52. Reinstall the water pump pulley and the retaining bolts. Reinstall the bolts, finger-tight.
  53. Reinstall the drive belt idler pulley.
  54. Reinstall the drive belt idler pulley retaining bolt and tighten it to 35 ft. lbs. (48 Nm).
  55. Reinstall the accessory drive belt.
  56. Tighten the water pump pulley retaining bolts to 89-124 inch lbs. (10-14 Nm).
  57. Move the radiator coolant recovery reservoir aside.
  58. Reinstall the upper front engine support insulator.
  59. Position the radiator coolant recovery reservoir and install the retainers.
  60. If equipped, install the wiring harness to the low coolant level sensor on the coolant recovery reservoir.
  61. Reinstall the upper front engine support bracket to the engine and the upper front engine support insulator using the mark made during the removal procedure for reference.
  62. Install the upper camshaft timing belt cover.
  63. Reinstall the upper camshaft timing belt cover retaining bolts and tighten to 27-44 inch lbs. (3-5 Nm).
  64. Remove the engine support.
  65. Reinstall the retaining bracket for the power steering pressure hose to the engine lifting eye.
  66. Reinstall the spark plugs and the ignition wires.
  67. Reinstall the engine air intake resonators.
  68. Replace the engine oil.
  69. Reconnect the negative battery cable.
  70. Run the engine and check for leaks and proper operation.
2.0L (VIN A) Engine
  2. Label and disconnect the spark plug wires and clips from the cylinder head cover. Remove the ignition distributor with wiring and set it aside.
  3. Remove the power steering hose brackets from the cylinder head cover. If necessary disconnect the crankshaft position sensor.
  4. Disconnect the breather tube and PCV valve from the cylinder head cover.
  5. Loosen the cylinder head cover bolts in 2-3 steps. Remove the cylinder head cover.
  6. Remove the power steering belt shield. Loosen the power steering adjusting bolt, lockbolt and through-bolt and remove the power steering belt.
  7. Loosen the alternator adjusting bolt and upper mounting bolt. Remove the alternator belt.
  8. Support the engine with Engine Support Tool 014-00750. Raise the engine slightly with a jack and remove the right side engine support insulator (mount).
  9. Remove the oil level indicator bolt and four upper timing belt cover bolts and remove the upper timing belt cover.
  10. Remove the splash-shields. Using Holder Tool T92C-6316-AH, hold the crankshaft pulley and remove the pulley bolt. Use a suitable puller to remove the pulley, then remove the guide plate.
  11. Remove the four lower timing belt cover bolts and remove the lower timing belt cover.
  12. Temporarily install the crankshaft pulley bolt.
  13. Turn the crankshaft until the timing mark on the crankshaft sprocket aligns with the timing mark on the oil pump and the camshaft sprocket timing marks, E and I, align on the camshaft sprockets.
  14. Insert camshaft sprocket holding tool T92C-6256-AH, between the camshaft sprockets.
  15. Turn the timing belt tensioner with an Allen wrench and remove the tensioner spring from the tensioner spring pin.
  16. If the timing belt is to be reused, mark the direction of rotation on the timing belt. Remove the timing belt.
  17. If necessary to remove the sprockets, remove the camshaft sprocket holding tool. Hold the camshaft by placing a suitable wrench on the hexagon which is cast into the camshaft. Place another wrench onto the camshaft sprocket retaining bolt and loosen the bolt.

NOTE: Before removing the camshaft sprocket(s), be sure that the camshafts are still in alignment and tag each sprocket to the camshaft from which it was removed.

18. Remove the camshaft sprocket bolt and the camshaft sprocket from the camshaft.
  19. Repeat the camshaft sprocket removal procedure for the opposite camshaft if required.
  20. Slide off the crankshaft sprocket and remove the crankshaft key.
    Fig. 7: Be sure that the intake and exhaust camshaft timing marks align so that they face each other - Ford 2.0L (VIN A) engines

To install:

21. Install the crankshaft key and slide the crankshaft sprocket into position.
  22. Install the camshaft sprocket onto the proper camshaft, making sure to align the dowel pin.
  23. Be sure that the I and E are in alignment.
  24. Install the camshaft sprocket bolt. Hold the hexagon on the camshaft with a suitable wrench and tighten the sprocket bolt to 35-48 ft. lbs. (47-65 Nm). Be sure the camshaft sprockets are still properly aligned and reinstall the sprocket holding tool.
  25. Be sure the timing marks on the camshaft and crankshaft sprockets are still aligned.
  26. Install the timing belt. If reusing the original timing belt, be sure it is installed in the same direction of rotation.
  27. Turn the tensioner clockwise with an Allen wrench and install the tensioner spring. Remove the holding tool from between the camshaft sprockets.
  28. Rotate the crankshaft clockwise two turns and align the timing marks. Be sure all marks are still correctly aligned.

NOTE: The timing chain tensioner automatically adjusts the tension on the timing belt.

29. Install the timing belt lower cover and tighten the four bolts to 71-88 inch lbs. (8-10 Nm).
  30. Install the guide plate, crankshaft pulley and pulley bolt. Secure the pulley with the holder tool and tighten the bolt to 116-123 ft. lbs. (157-167 Nm).
  31. Install the splash-shields and lower the vehicle.
  32. Raise the engine slightly with the jack and install the right side engine mount. Tighten the mount through-bolt to 63-86 ft. lbs. (86-116 Nm) and the mount attaching nuts to 54-75 ft. lbs. (74-103 Nm). Remove the engine support tool.
  33. Install the upper timing belt cover and tighten the bolts to 71-88 inch lbs. (8-10 Nm).
  34. Clean the cylinder head and valve cover mating surfaces thoroughly.
  35. Apply silicone sealant to the cylinder head surface in the area adjacent to the front camshaft bearing caps. Apply sealant to a new gasket and install it on the cylinder head cover.
  36. Install the cylinder head cover and tighten the bolts.
  37. Install the power steering hose brackets and tighten the bolts to 71-88 inch lbs. (8-10 Nm). Connect the spark plug wires and wire clips. Connect the breather tube and PCV valve. If necessary, connect the crankshaft position sensor.
  38. Install the alternator belt and adjust the tension. Tighten the upper mounting bolt to 14-18 ft. lbs. (19-25 Nm) and the lower through-bolt to 27-38 ft. lbs. (37-52 Nm).
  39. Install the power steering belt and adjust the tension. Tighten the through-bolt to 32-45 ft. lbs. (43-61 Nm) and the lockbolt to 23-34 ft. lbs. (31-46 Nm). Install the power steering belt shield and tighten the bolts to 61-86 inch lbs. (7-9 Nm).
  40. Connect the negative battery cable.
  41. Run the engine and check for leaks and proper engine operation.
Jaxer Smith, Auto Mechanic
Experience: 17 Years Experience and presently own and operate an auto repair service center