ttiger79
ttiger79, Auto mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, Advanced Level Engine Performance
2207141

Why does my automatic transmission make whining noise?

My automatic transmission makes a whining noise like a belt when I step on the gas hard. Doesn't slip, just makes a god awful whining noise. Any ideas?

Category: Ford
Expert:  ttiger79 replied 9 years ago.

Hi!
Can you provide me with some more vehicle information? Year, model, engine in your Ford? I may be able to help you out.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.

2005 f150 Super Crew 5.4leng. 4x4

Expert:  ttiger79 replied 9 years ago.

Ok, and the noise you hear is like a loud power steering pump, but is coming from the auto transmission? Does the noise get louder as you accelerate?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.

Ya like a loud old about too die power steering pump, but from the tranny. Yes it gets louder as I accelerate. Its constant until the truck warms up and then only when you hit the gas hard like getting on the freeway.

Expert:  ttiger79 replied 9 years ago.

Ok,
The noise you are hearing is coming from the automatic transmission fluid pump. I've seen a few of these in newer Fords going bad lately. The pump pressurizes the fluid going to the valve body of the transmission. The pressure is what shifts the transmission when the different solenoid move.
I would recommend getting this checked out more sooner than later. It's an internal part of the transmission, and if it stops working, the transmission won't shift, and the truck won't move. If it's still under warranty, it should be covered.
Let me know if you have any more questions!

Customer: replied 9 years ago.

Will this burn up my tranny?

Expert:  ttiger79 replied 9 years ago.

No. The only thing that will happen is the pump will go out. There may be other damage to the clutches if they run dry, but that won't happen until the pump goes out. There's really no way of telling you how long it will run like this either. It may just go, and you will be sitting on the side of the road.