Glenn
Glenn, Senior Master Ford Tech
Experience:  26 years exp with Ford Products, ASE Master Auto & Truck + advanced engine perf L1/L2 Gas & Diesel
3389900

97 ford ranger: 2.4L engine,wont start..steering and safety switch

Customer Question

97 ford ranger,standard,2.4L engine,won't start with key,turns over great ,push it and let clutch out and starts great,replace starter switch in steering and safety switch on clutch,,,any ideals??????????
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 7 years ago.
Explain your question again?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Kyle Northrop's Post: 97 ford ranger,2.4L,stander,,,one day it quit starting with the key,turns over great but won't start.give it a little push and let the clutch out and starts and runs great,,i change the ingition box under dash and clutch safty cable,check all or most grounds,not sure what happen or what the problem is,also had it at a gradge and chect on a diagnosis machine,,no show for codes or problems?????????
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
what happen.. no feedback,i need more help before i accept,willing to pay more if you figure it out,,,no one else could???????///
Expert:  Glenn replied 7 years ago.

So let me recap this problem.

Then engine will start, push starting the truck.

It will not crank over, turning the key. You have already replaced the clutch interlock switch and the ignition switch?

You need to check for 12volts to the red/ light blue wire [small terminal] during crank at the starter relay near the battery. If none, reply back for further tests.

If you have power there, jump the 2 large terminals with a screwdriver [make sure truck is in neutral] the starter should engage, if it does not, you need to hit starter with a hammer and see if that will make it work, if it does, replace the starter. If it does not measure for 12v getting to the battery cable at the starter.

If the starter works when jumping the large terminals [and had power to the small wire r/bl] Replace the starter relay. Reply back if you still need anymore help..Glenn

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thanks for the reply glenn,,yes it do turn over great with the starter,,the starter works great,i've try crossing over the starter relay,,,starting to think its the computer control??????????
Expert:  Glenn replied 7 years ago.

If you mean the RAP module, maybe..Need to check the starter lock out relay controlled by the keyless entry module also.

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
what does the starter lockout relay do because i don't have keyless entry,,,it just a plain jane truck,,,what is rap madule
Expert:  Glenn replied 7 years ago.

do you have power door locks? if not don't worry about it!

What are the results of the testing I told you to do?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
glen found myself a computer module,going to try it when it arrivies,this type of motor don't have a ingition module,,,,its build in the main box,,,let you know,,,thanks
Expert:  Glenn replied 7 years ago.
the computer [pcm] has nothing to do with a NO Crank concern!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes glen,,but as i said before,she cranks over find,just no spark,,,,thanks for reply,,,,keep you updated as soon as i get the pcm in the mail,,,,,,,,,,,,,ken