Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician
3195632

2001 Ford Ranger Edge: My check engine light comes..misfire..cylinder

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Ford Ranger Edge, 3.0 V-6. My check engine light comes on intermittently. The fault code indicates a misfire in the number 6 cylinder. I changed the spark plugs and wires. The light went away, but came on again about 30 miles later. What are the next steps I should look into?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Eric replied 9 years ago.

The next step will be to check function of #6 injector- make sure it is pulsing and has good spray pattern. Also, pull #6 plug and inspect for gas fouling, this would indicate a injector leak.

Also, you need to do engine cylinder compression test. Low compression can indicate possible valves not closing completely due to carbon deposits which would cause misfire

If this answer has helped please hit the ACCEPT BUTTON or ask for more help. Positive feedback is always appreciated

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Eric's Post: Is it possible for me to check the spray nozzle pattern?

Also, if my valve has carbon deposits, why is the check engine light going on and off intermittently? Do I have to do a valve job or is there an easier fix?

Thank you for your help.
Expert:  Eric replied 9 years ago.

If you do a compression test and that cylinder is low, most auto repair shops have a fuel induction cleaner that goes straight thru the intake vacuum that is great for cleaning carbon deposits.

You may even want to try that anyway to clean the injectors and see if that corrects it.

Re-reading the part about intermittent CEL light coming on, I am leaning more towards an injector issue. First, pull the #6 plug and check for gas fouling, which would indicate either leaking injector or one that is just shooting a stream. To test spray pattern, pull injector and have some one crank engine while you hold paper to injector at an angle. Proper spray pattern will be about 70degree fan pattern. If its narrow fan or stream- injector is clogged.

If no evidence of a leak- swap injectors and see if the misfire travels to the cylinder you swapped injectors with. If it travels then you know to replace injector. If it doesnt, then next step will be to get a noid light(available for $10 at parts stores) insert the noid light into #6 injector connection and crank vehicle. The light should blink steady, if it doesnt then it is not getting injector pulse from PCM. At that point you will need to start tracing for an open/short in harness from #6 injector to PCM.

IF all the above check out- then do the compression test.

Please click the ACCEPT BUTTON or ask for more help. Positive feedback is always appreciated

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Eric's Post: Thank you for the advise. Can I still ask you questions after I accept the answer?
Expert:  Eric replied 9 years ago.

yes, just come back to this question and re-open it. Let me know what happens and if you need more help on troubleshooting it. The first Accept is all you need for this problem. I will stay with you until its running smoothly

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Eric's Post: Perfect! Thanks. I will get back to you as soon as I can.
Expert:  Eric replied 9 years ago.
ok
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Eric -

Sorry it took so long for me to get back with you, but it took this long to get to a day that I could work on the truck.

I checked the #6 injector along with the other two injectors on the left side of the engine and they all seem to have a a good spray pattern and they are are pulsing okay too. Do I still need to get the "noid" at the auto parts store?

I did the compression check. I did it the lazy way and only checked the #6 cylinder, so I don't have any other cylinders to compare with. When I crank it over, the cylinder jumps to 85-90 PSI, before moving up to 110-115 PSI as I continue cranking it over. Is this okay, or is it an indication of worn valves or rings?

I am also running a tank of techtron concentrate through the fuel system. The guys at my parts store thought that could be helpful and wasn't going to hurt anything. I will let you know what happens there. If you think I should go to the shop and have them do an induction system cleaning, let me know and I will get it done.

Is there anything that I am missing? I think I am ready for the next step here.

I appreciate your help. Have a great weekend!

C. Bowers