Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician

1995 ford aerostar: van..sliding door..diagram..the locking mechanisms

I have a 1995 ford aerostar van, the sliding door will not open. The bottom right corner of the outter door frame was damaged slightly, where can i go to see a drawing or diagram of the locking mechanisms of the sliding door.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Expert:  Eric replied 6 years ago.

Here are directions on the sliding door locks:

Sliding Door

See Figure 2

1. Remove the sliding door panels, water shield and access hole cover plates.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 12: The side sliding door interior trim panels and related fasteners

1. Unlatch the sliding door.

2. Remove the actuator rod retainer from the center door retainer hole.

3. Disconnect the rear door lock actuator rod from the remote control assembly.

4. Open the door enough to gain access to the three lock retainer bolts attaching the rear lock to the sliding door, and remove the bolts.

5. Remove the sliding door rear lock with the remote control actuator rod attached to the lock.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: Sliding side door lock assembly

To install:

1. Install the sliding door rear lock with the remote control actuator rod attached to the lock.

2. Open the door enough to gain access to the three lock retainer bolts attaching the rear lock to the sliding door, then install the bolts. Do not tighten the three lock retainer bolts more than 6-10 ft. lbs. (8-14 Nm).

3. Connect the rear door lock actuator rod to the remote control assembly.

4. Install the actuator rod retainer to the center door retainer hole.

5. Latch the sliding door.

6. Install the sliding door panels, water shield and access hole cover plates

If this answer has helped please hit the ACCEPT BUTTON or ask for more help. Positive feedback is always appreciated

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician