Jaxer Smith
Jaxer Smith, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  17 Years Experience and presently own and operate an auto repair service center
4387830

1995 Ford Contour: the water pump..cylinder..cam..compression

I just replaced the water pump on a 1995 Ford Contour with a 4 cylinder. It cranks and the cam pulleys are turning along with crank pulley but it sounds like there is no compression. Just a kind of whirring noise. I marked the timing belt and the cam and crank gears before removing and reinstalled per these marks. I reviewed long and hard the manual before replacing and have never seen such a complicated procedure to reinstall timing belt. I have always been used to marks on the cam gears that would be aligned with a cover or indentation on the block or head and the same for the crank gear but there was nothing like that in the manual. I assume there is no compression because the cams and crank are out of relationship. Luckily I did see any instance of what would be thought to be pistons hitting valves. Any idea for a way of determining cam(s) and crank timing?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jaxer Smith replied 7 years ago.

Performing a compression test would prove that the cam shaft timing is off. An most likely it is from what you have written. The problem that most mechanics run into when installing the timing belt falls with the tensioner. Once the tensioner is released it moves the timing 1 to 2 teeth. This means when you install the belt it needs to be 1 to 2 teeth off in the right direction do when the tensioner is released, the timing is dead on. Once the tensioner is set, you need to crank the engine over 2 to 3 times and re-check the timing again to insure it is correct.

Reference :

Timing Belt and Sprockets

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

Fig. 1: If you plan on reusing the timing belt, make sure you note the direction of the rotation before removal

Fig. 2: If the special tool is unavailable, a suitable length and width straight edge can be used to align the camshafts

Fig. 3: Camshaft alignment using the special service tool

Fig. 4: Insert the crankshaft damper bolt to turn the crankshaft and . . .

Fig. 5: . . . align the camshafts and the . . .

Fig. 6: . . . crankshaft before removing the old belt

Fig. 7: Loosen the timing belt tensioner pulley bolt, slide the tensioner back and . . .

Fig. 8: . . . tighten the bolt to the farthest right hand side as possible to hold the release the tensioner pulley so that the belt can be removed

Fig. 9: . . . remove the belt starting from around the camshaft pulleys

Fig. 10: Installation of the tensioner spring and retaining bolt

For information on timing belt recommended replacement interval, refer to Section 1.

CAUTION
The 2.0L engine is an interference motor. Extending the replacement interval could lead to the belt breaking and severe and costly engine damage. Care must be taken if rotating the crankshaft or camshafts with the belt off, if resistance is felt, do not force them to turn.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the timing belt covers as outlined in this Section.
  3. Remove the valve cover.
  4. Place Camshaft Alignment Timing Tool T94P-6256-CH or equivalent, into the slots of both camshafts at the rear of the cylinder head to lock the camshafts into position.

NOTE: If the special tool is unavailable, a suitable length and width straight edge can be used to align the camshafts.

5. Loosen the camshaft timing belt tensioner pulley retaining bolt and move the tensioner pulley to relieve the tension on the timing belt.
  6. Temporarily tighten the tensioner in this position.

NOTE: If the timing belt is to be reused, mark the belt for the direction of rotation before removing to prevent premature wear or failure.

7. Remove the timing belt.
  8. If required, remove the sprockets as follows:
    1. Hold the camshaft with an appropriate camshaft sprocket holding tool.
    2. Loosen and remove the camshaft sprocket retaining bolt.
    3. Remove the sprocket from the camshaft.
    4. Repeat the procedure for the 2nd camshaft sprocket.
    5. Remove the crankshaft sprocket.
  9. Slide the crankshaft sprocket onto the crankshaft aligning the key-way.
  10. Align the camshafts using the Camshaft Alignment Timing Tool T94P-6256-CH.

11. Reinstall the sprockets onto the camshafts and loosely install the camshaft retaining bolts.
  12. Tighten the camshaft sprocket retaining bolts to 47-53 ft. lbs. (64-72 Nm) .
  13. Loosely install the crankshaft pulley to verify that the engine is at TDC. Realign the marks if they have moved.
  14. Verify that the camshafts are aligned.

NOTE: It is recommended to purchase a tensioner spring and retaining bolt through the dealer parts to apply the proper tension for used or new belt installations. The spring is bolted to the tensioner assembly and becomes a part of the engine. Ignore this notice if the tensioner spring is already installed.

15. Reinstall the retaining bolt (W700001-S309) into the hole provided in the cylinder block and place the tensioner spring (6L277) between the bolt and the camshaft timing belt tensioner pulley.
  16. Tighten the retainer bolt to 71-97 inch lbs. (8-11 Nm) .
  17. Remove the crankshaft pulley and install the timing belt onto the crankshaft sprocket, then onto the camshaft sprockets working in a counterclockwise direction.
  18. Tighten the camshaft sprocket retaining bolts to 47-53 ft. lbs. (64-72 Nm) .
  19. Be sure that the span of the camshaft timing belt between the crankshaft sprocket and the exhaust camshaft sprocket is not loose.
  20. Be sure that the camshaft timing belt is securely aligned on all sprockets.
  21. Reinstall the lower timing belt cover and tighten the retaining bolts to 53-71 inch lbs. (6-8 Nm) .
  22. Apply silicone sealer to the key-way of the crankshaft pulley and install. Tighten the retaining bolt to 81-89 ft. lbs. (110-120 Nm) .
  23. Inspect the timing mark on the crankshaft pulley to verify that the engine is still at TDC.
  24. Loosen the camshaft timing belt tensioner pulley retaining bolt and allow the tensioner spring attached to the pulley to draw the tensioner pulley against the camshaft timing belt.
  25. Remove the camshaft alignment timing tool from the camshafts at the rear of the engine.
  26. Turn the crankshaft two revolutions in a clockwise direction.
  27. Tighten the camshaft timing belt tensioner pulley retaining bolt to 26-30 ft. lbs. (35-40 Nm) .
  28. Recheck that the crankshaft timing mark is at TDC for the No. 1 piston, and that both camshafts are in alignment using the camshaft alignment timing tool.

NOTE: A slight adjustment of the camshafts to allow the insertion of the camshaft alignment timing tool is permissible as long as the crankshaft stays at the TDC location.

29. An appropriate camshaft sprocket holding tool can be used to move the camshaft sprocket (s) if a slight adjustment is required.
  30. If a camshaft is not properly aligned, perform the following procedure:
    1. Loosen the retaining bolt securing the sprocket to the camshaft while holding the camshaft sprocket from turning with the sprocket holding tool.
    2. Turn the camshaft until the camshaft alignment timing tool can be installed.
    3. Verify that the crankshaft timing mark is at TDC for the No. 1 cylinder.
    4. While holding the camshaft sprocket with the camshaft sprocket holding tool, tighten the retaining bolt to 47-53 ft. lbs. (64-72 Nm) .
    5. Remove the tool and rotate the crankshaft two revolutions (clockwise) .
    6. Verify that the camshafts are aligned and that the crankshaft is at TDC for the No. 1 cylinder.
  31. Install the valve cover.
  32. Install the timing belt covers.
  33. Connect the negative battery cable.
Jaxer Smith, Auto Mechanic
Experience: 17 Years Experience and presently own and operate an auto repair service center