Larry, Technical Editor
Experience:  Automotive tech editor & author, 30 years experience, ASE certified

1996 ford f150: the check engine light came..EGR..vacuum..solenoid

I have a 1996 ford f150 5.0 the check engine light came on I had it scanned at the auto parts store the code was P1409 the print out said EGR vacuum regulator (EVR) solenoid circuit malfunction probale causes, 1. open or short circuit condition. 2. poor electrical connection. 3. failed EVR solenoid. Where is it located & Do you have any idea's what is wrong. Thanks Shawn
Category: Ford
Expert:  Larry replied 9 years ago.
The EVR solenoid controls vacuum to the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve (an emission control device on the engine that recirculated exhasut gas back into the intake manifold when the engine is under load to reduce oxides of nitrogen emissions). If teh EVR is not working, the EGR valve won't open, and your engine will pollute. It may also experience some detonation (spark knock or pining) under load, which can be harmful to the engine.

That's probably more than you want to know, but likely the fault code is due to a bad EVR valve. It is located toward the back of the engine. See the illustrations below. It can be easily replaced.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Larry Carley's Post: I replaced the evr solenoid and the light is still on I went to the parts store and had it scanned again shows same code. parts guy said I have to drive 50 miles and it should reset he stated that he can't clear code is this correct. thanks shawn
Expert:  Larry replied 9 years ago.
As far as I know, you should be able to clear ALL codes with a scan tool, including this one. If teh code won't clear, you can erase the PCM keep alive memory by disconnecting the battery ground cable for 5 minutes. That will wipe the computer memory and reset it to its factory default settings.

If the same code returns, it means there is probably an electrical problem in the wiring harness to the EVR solenoid. Might be a loose or corroded connector, or a wire broken inside a connector.