Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

My ford expedition wont start. Just ...

My 98 ford expedition won't start. Just clicks. Starter is not clicking. Clicking is coming from two relays under the hood. Where should I start? What relays, or celenoid etc. etc.. should I start trouble shooting...   I left the lights on for about 3 minutes when this started if that helps....
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 9 years ago.
Are the clicking relays on the firewall or in the fuse box under the hood.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
there is clicking coming from the relays next to the fuse box under the hood and the celenoid under the hood on the firewall just in front of the glove box...
Turn the key to the run position and remove the cover over the starter relay on the firewall. Now get a screwdriver and touch it to both of the large terminals on the firewall relay and tell me if it starts.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Chris (aka- Moose)'s Post: OK, this will take a while because my vehicle isn't here, I will get a ride and get back with you...
Ok Sounds good. If it starts drive on home and reply. After it starts if it does make sure no strange noises are heard like relay clicking or any grinding from the starter.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Chris (aka- Moose)'s Post: No start. Celenoid clicks, but the starter dosen't. I hate to think this way, but could this mean my motor is seized...

Hello I'm Chris a Ford Certified Electrical/Engine Specialist.

Thanks for asking your question. I am eager to get your vehicle back up and running correct, I am here to help you out for a small fee far less than a dealership, so if this information is of aid PLEASE PRESS ACCEPT and help me out financially. Please reply if further discussion is needed.

It could be many things including a seized engine. Here is the starter circuit. You have have to verify power and ground where needed. Normally crossing the relay will by pass everything and make the starter turn the engine over. To see if the engine is seized you can turn the crank pulley with a socket and ratchet on the center bolt. You can also bypass the electrical even farther and connect battery voltage to the starter solenoid and make the starter try to work. If this fails and the engine will turn over then assume the starter is bad.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
OK... I went and brought a multimeter and checked at each relay and starter. Starter had good voltage. I then took a screwdriver and tried to by pass and still no clicking. I got sparks but nothing else. Am I right in assuming that it is the starter...
The relay will produce sparks. The starter always has voltage and when you cross the relay or add 12 volt to the solenoid on the starter it has to spin if the starter is good. So either the motor has got the starter locked up or the starter is bad.