drobbi
drobbi, auto mechanic
Experience:  13 years experience in ford automotive field from drivability to diesel
4799798

I tell if the blower motor is bad or the resistor is

Customer Question

how do I tell if the blower motor is bad or the resistor is bad and where is the resitir located ?
Category: Ford
Expert:  drobbi replied 9 years ago.

HiCustomer what exactly is the problem. Is the blower not blowing at all? Or is it blowing at one speed usually high. What year make and model is your car?

As soon as I get a better picture I can assist you. Thanks drobbi

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to drobbi's Post: 1996 ford taurus. The blower now does not work at all. I noticed it getting weaker during summer. a very very slight amount of warm air comes out of the vents when the car is moving 60-70MPH. I just dont know how to tell if is the blower motor itself or the resistor, and of the resistor- where is it.
Expert:  drobbi replied 9 years ago.

OkCustomer It sounds like your blower has gone out, Or power to the blower is not not working. the best way to check is to look under passenger side dash (you may have to remove plastic piece) Unplug blower check for power in one of the two wires with the key on and ac defrost blower on high. If voltage is present suspect the blower.If no voltage inspect all fuses under hood as well as under the dash.If you have voltage plug the blower in try tapping on it not hard but a good jolt this may loosing it up and get it working for a bit but it will stick again or may not move at all. most of the time when the resistor goes out it wont stop blower operation but will only allow it to run one speed which normally is high. I hope this helps

If you have anymore questions or problems don't hesitate to e-mail me.

Thanks drobbi