Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

why does my 2001 ford focus keep blowing ignition fuses

ive replaced the ignition fuse 4 times in the last 2 days, each time im starting the car it starts right up then dies after running about 3 minutes then i look and see that the ignition fuse is blown
Can you give me the fuse location #
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
fuse location is in the fuse compartment under the hood.... # XXXXX
Do you have the 2.0 ZETEC or SPI engine?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Chris (aka- Moose)'s Post: 2.0 ztec
Does it make any strange noises during the start or after started. Does this concern occur before the transmission is placed into drive or reverse.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
no no out of the ordinary noises, the fuse blows and engine quits

Hello I'm Chris a Ford Certified Electrical Specialist.

Thanks for asking your question. I am eager to get your vehicle back up and running correct, I am here to help you out for a small fee far less than a dealership, so if this information is of aid PLEASE PRESS ACCEPT and help me out financially. Please reply if further discussion is needed.

The focus is notorious for ignition lock cylinder concerns. For a fuse to pop it must be overloaded or touched to ground. A multimeter will be needed to see the amp reading on this fuse before it pops. If the amp is normal then check for a ground connection. To do this, You need to pull the fuse and see what side is 12 volts constant. The other side needs to be ohmed to ground while the ignition switch is turned a couple of times. If it ever shows no resistance to ground then you have found the short to ground. Here is fuse #8 circuit.