Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician
3195632

how to replace water pump on .92 ford explorer 4.0 V6

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Ford
Expert:  Eric replied 7 years ago.

Here are replacement instructions for the water pump on your vehicle:

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Drain the cooling system.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 4: To service the water pump, first drain the cooling system, then remove the engine fan/clutch ...

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 5: ... and the fan shroud from the vehicle

1. Remove the fan and fan clutch assembly.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 6: Remove the lower radiator hose from the water pump. Position a drain pan underneath to catch any coolant

1. Remove the lower radiator hose from the water pump.

•  

• Click image to see an enlarged view
    Fig. 7: Loosen the water pump pulley attaching bolts ...

Click image to see an enlarged view
    Fig. 8: ... before removing the accessory drive belt ...

1. Loosen the water pump pulley attaching bolts.

2. Loosen the alternator mounting bolts and remove the belt. On vehicles with air conditioning, remove the tensioner pulley, alternator and bracket.

3. Remove the A/C compressor and power steering pump mounting bracket, without disconnecting the lines, and set off to the side.

Click image to see an enlarged view
    Fig. 9: ... then with the drive belt out of the way, finish removing the water pump pulley

1. Remove the water pump pulley.

2. Disconnect the heater hose at the pump.

Click image to see an enlarged view
    Fig. 10: Remove the heater hose connection at the water pump

Click image to see an enlarged view
    Fig. 11: Remove all of the water pump attaching bolts ...

Click image to see an enlarged view
    Fig. 12: ... then remove the pump from the engine

1. Remove the attaching bolts and remove the water pump.

To install:

1. Clean the mounting surfaces of the pump and front cover thoroughly. Remove all traces of gasket material.

Click image to see an enlarged view
    Fig. 13: Remove all traces of the old gasket before installing the pump

1. Apply adhesive gasket sealer to both sides of a new gasket and place the gasket on the pump.

2. Position the pump on the cover and install the bolts finger-tight. When all bolts are in place, torque them to 72-108 inch lbs. (8.5-12 Nm).

3. Install the pulley.

4. On vehicles with air conditioning, install the alternator, bracket and tensioner pulley.

5. Install the A/C compressor and power steering pump mounting bracket.

6. Install and adjust the drive belt.

7. Connect the hoses and tighten the clamps.

8. Install the fan and clutch assembly.

9. Fill and bleed the cooling system.

10. Connect the negative battery cable, then start the engine and check for leaks.

If this answer has helped please hit the ACCEPT BUTTON or ask for more help. Positive feedback is always appreciated