Hanz Engine
Hanz Engine, Automotive Machine Shop Owner
Experience:  ASE Master Machinist, Block Specialist, Cylinder Head Specialist, Parts Specialist

1968 Mustang: I replace the heater core..easiest way

Can I replace the heater core on a 1968 Mustang 289 w/air without getting into the air conditiong system. If so, what is the easiest way, and how much time should it take. Step by step photos of the process would be very helpful.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Hanz Engine replied 9 years ago.
Hello- Sorry, you will have to discharge the AC system to remove the combination heater core/evapotator box. Is your heater core leaking? If you live in a warm climate and don't need the heater right now, you can very easily bypass it. Just remove or cut the 2 heater hoses where they enter the firewall, and connect them together using a piece of tube and 2 clamps. They also sell a coupler at the auto parts store. If you wish to replace the heater core, instructions can be had here on pages 49-50 - Heater Core Replacement
Hope this helps, please ACCEPT this answer- Thanks- Hanz