Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician
3195632

No Comment Added

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Ford
Expert:  Eric replied 7 years ago.

It is located on the back of the alternator. Here is removal and installation instructions with pictures:

1991-95 models with non-integral type regulator

See Figures 1, 2 and 3

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: The regulator is attached to the alternator by 4 Torx® head screws

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Remove 4 Torx® head screws holding the voltage regulator to the alternator rear housing. Remove the regulator, with the brush and terminal holder attached.

3. Hold the regulator in one hand and pry off the cap covering the A terminal screw head with a small prybar.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: Holding the regulator in one hand, break off the tab covering the A screw to expose the brush holder retaining screws

1. Remove 2 Torx® head screws retaining the regulator to the brush holder. Separate the regulator from the brush holder.

To install:

1. Install the brush holder on the regulator with 2 retaining screws. Tighten the screws to 25-35 inch lbs. (2.8-4.0 Nm).

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 3: Exploded view of the voltage regulator and brush holder assembly

1. Install the cap on the head of the A terminal screw.

2. Depress the brushes into the holder and hold the brushes in position by inserting a standard size paper clip, or equivalent tool, through both the location hole in the regulator and through the holes in the brushes.

3. Install the regulator/brush holder assembly and remove the paper clip. Install the attaching screws and tighten to 20-30 inch lbs. (2.3-3.4 Nm).

4. Connect the negative battery cable.

If this answer has helped please hit the ACCEPT BUTTON or ask for more help. Positive feedback is always appreciated