HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European

1996 Explorer: key battery..doors..hazard lights flash

Customer Question

My 1996 Explorer is not responding to the key fob. I have tried a new battery but to no avail. The alarm is on and if I open the doors the alarm activates for 15 secs and the hazard lights flash for about 30 secs and then stop. If I try the key fob after this nothing happens and the normal red warning light on the dashboard showing the alarm is set is not on. Any ideas?
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 9 years ago.

If it is a ford key fob try reprogramming it. Hit the door lock button and cycle the ignition key from off to run 8 times in a few seconds and al the door locks should lock/unlock indicating you are in programming mode. Hit any button on the remote and the locks should cycle indicating it is programmed, turn the key off it will cycle th elocks again.Se if the remote works, if it doesnt then the remote itself may be bad.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
The key fob is a Ford but only has one button. The car is a late 1995 model. According to the hand book by turning the ignition on and pressing the button this disarmes the alarm which I have managed to do. However, the immobiliser is still active so I cannot start the car. The central locking does not respond to the key fob at all. What do you mean by cycle the ignition key from off? Also how do you turn the key off? I only have one key that operates the locks and the ignition.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 9 years ago.

Ok your vehicle is a little different,the programming sequence is listed below.You turn the ignition key from the off position to run.

When the customer has purchased additional transmitters, or has lost a transmitter, the customer MUST bring to the dealer ALL of the transmitters for the vehicle. The dealer must then reprogram ALL of the transmitters at the same time. The receiver assembly module erases all previous transmitters from memory, when the transmitters are programmed or reprogrammed. The receiver assembly module can store up to four transmitters in memory.

To program (or reprogram) transmitter(s) into the remote/keyless entry module, perform the following steps.

1. Make sure that the anti-theft system is not armed or triggered.
  2. Turn the ignition key from OFF to RUN five times within 10 seconds, ending in RUN. If the RAP system has successfully entered program mode, it will lock and then unlock all doors.
  3. Press any button on a transmitter, and the doors will lock and then unlock to confirm that each transmitter has been programmed. If the vehicle has memory seats, look on the back of the transmitters and make sure that transmitter No.1 is programed first, and that transmitter No.2 is programmed second. If the door locks do not respond for any transmitter, wait a few seconds and press the button again. If the door locks still fail to respond, go to Pinpoint Test A.
  4. Turn ignition OFF (or wait up to five minutes after Step 2) to exit program mode. If a new set of transmitters have been programmed (or reprogrammed), the remote control alarm and door lock system will lock and unlock all doors one last time to confirm.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Hi there,
Have tried your suggestion but car has not responded.
Immobiliser is still active and central locking is still not working.
Have you any other ideas?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 9 years ago.
Does this vehicle have an additional aftermarket alarm beside a ford key fob? When you cycle the key from off to run does it cycle the locks?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
As far as I am aware the alarm is factory fitted and the one button key fob works the central locking and the alarm/immobiliser. The fob has the Ford logo on it together with model no RK112. It is made by Robert Bosch Gmbh and has another code BG108ZT511D
When I cycle from off to run the door locks do not cycle. Nothing happens other than the dasboard lights going on & off in time with the switching. When I use the switch on the drivers door to lockand unlock all doors this works.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 9 years ago.

Ok lets start from scratch here because you have me confused and lets just re clarify everything.

You have one key fob that works the door locks and panic function/honks the horn. before you could not program it but now it works???

You have to cycle the key from off to run 5 times as explained in the instructions to reprogram the key fob, it will not enter programming mode and cycle the door locks after cycling the key 5 times?

The key fob works the door locks but wont turn the panic/alarm feature off???