Lurch
Lurch, Ford Cert.
Experience:  Ford Cert., Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years

96 bronco: I remove the ball joints..nuts

Customer Question

How do I remove the ball joints from a 96 bronco when the top and bottom nuts are off?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Lurch replied 6 years ago.

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ball joint will not move off of the chamber adjuster no matter how hard it is hit
Expert:  Lurch replied 6 years ago.
It may have a Groove worn in it. Have you tryed turning in another direction & / or heat?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The diagram keep the lower on on a few threads, remove the top nut and strike the top joint and it should drop down. Well it don't drop down
Expert:  Lurch replied 6 years ago.
The reason it says to leave bottom nut on, is so when it does release, it doesn't fall.
Answer my question please:
It may have a Groove worn in it. Have you tried turning in another direction & / or heat?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Groove in what? Turn what? I have both ball joint nuts in my hand. I put on the bottom one a couple of turns so it will not drop the axle arm to the ground. the problem is I can not get the Axle arm to drop. The axle arm is stuck to the ball joint.
Expert:  Lurch replied 6 years ago.

I understand that it will not budge.........
The Steering Knuckle turns, .............Have you tried turning the Steering Knuckle in another Direction & hammer on it or apply Heat & hammer??
There may be a flat spot or Groove in the Ball Joint, which is causing it not to come out, especially if it is in the straight forward position.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I will turn the knuckle to the left now. I will try to hit it and if I have to heat it and hit it. I hit it on the one side while I was waiting for a reply and did not go. I will try the other side right now
Expert:  Lurch replied 6 years ago.
Thank You............
I am sure it is in the air & nothing mounted to it??
It may take considerable force.
Be sure yours is similar to diagram, in case someone has changed it
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I still had no luck. So I cut it off and drilled it out until not much was left then I got it to go.
Expert:  Lurch replied 6 years ago.
Glad you got it off.........
Did you look to see what was holding it?
They usually are so worn, it takes something like that