HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European

our garage..overdrive light..slow to go when putting it into reverse

Customer Question

My wife just tried to back out of our garage and there was no response from the transmission. I noticed that the overdrive light was flashing. She said it has been slow to go when putting it into reverse lately. Is this usually just a computer sensor or controlling module?
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 9 years ago.
It is most likely an internal trans(major) problem if it wont move.The od lamp flashing means it is setting a code that need to be retreived using a scan tool to find out what is going on.It can be set for anything.Have it checked for codes and verify it is full of fluid.If its low, see if it is leaking out of the bellhousing.Sounds like a major repair that needs to be handled by a competent trans shop.