joseph carrillo
joseph carrillo, Auto service technician
Experience:  A.S.E. certified auto electrical , engine performance , advanced engine performance, emmisions
2097715

2000 Ford Explorer: I get A code 36..air bag light..fix

Customer Question

I get A code 36 on my 2000 Ford Explorer air bag light, What can I do to fix it
Category: Ford
Expert:  joseph carrillo replied 6 years ago.
The code is for the driver side, side air bag. If it has a side airbag which
is in the upper seat back. On the outboard side of the seat cover it will say
airbag. The wiring comes from under the carpet and is attached to the seat.
What happens is the wiring flexes causing poor continuity. All vehicles have
the wiring whether they have side airbags or not. If they don't have side
airbags the connector plugs into a fixed resistor.What I do on these if they don't
have a side airbag is repair wiring at connector. the wires usually break If it
has side airbags I replace the harness as stated in the Ford special service
message I posted below.

13581 AIR BAG LAMP ON WITH SIDE AIR BAG DTC'S B1994 &/OR B1998
SOME 1999-2000 EXPLORER/MOUNTAINEER VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT AN AIR BAG LAMP "ON"
WITH SIDE AIR BAG DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTC) B1994 &/OR B1998 IN SELF
TEST. THIS CAN OCCUR ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH OR WITHOUT SIDE AIR BAGS. THIS
MAY BE DUE TO VARIOUS ROOT CAUSES IN THE SIDE AIR BAG WIRING OF THE 14488
HARNESS. ENGINEERING HAS RELEASED A MORE ROBUST OVERLAY HARNESS TO INSTALL ON
VEHICLES THAT COME IN FOR THIS ISSUE. IF A VEHICLE COMES IN FOR THIS CONCERN,
VERIFY THAT THE AIR BAG LAMP IS "ON" WITH SIDE AIR BAG DTC'S B1994 &/OR B1998
IN SELF TEST. IF SO, INSTALL OVERLAY HARNESS KIT PART NUMBER XL2Z-14B455-AA
FOR 4 DOOR MODELS OR OVERLAY HARNESS KIT PART NUMBER XL2Z-14B455-BA FOR 2
DOOR MODELS. THE KIT INCLUDES AN INSTRUCTION SHEET ON HOW TO INSTALL THE
OVERLAY HARNESS. NOTE: THIS ISSUE DOES NOT AFFECT FRONT AIR BAG OPERATION
Experience: A.S.E. certified auto electrical , engine performance , advanced engine performance, emmisions
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I did what you Said and i got a "37" code instead
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I now have A Code 37
Expert:  Glenn replied 6 years ago.
I don't think you went to a Ford dealer bought the harness and installed it, all in a hour and a half. You may have counted the flashes wrong.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No I did'nt I found A break in the wiring on the plug at the back seat and soldered it together
Expert:  Glenn replied 6 years ago.
Does it have the side air bags or not? Which side did you find the break on? pass or driver seat?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It does not have side air bags and the break was on the drivers side under the seat
Expert:  Glenn replied 6 years ago.

You have the same problem on the passenger side...this is why I recommend the harness, but go ahead and try to find it and solder. It would save you money and since it does not have the bags it does not matter much.

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks I will Look again when my wife gets back with the auto
Expert:  Glenn replied 6 years ago.

OK Gary,

Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Do yoy Know what would cause the ABS light to come on when she got back another idiot light pops up
Expert:  Glenn replied 6 years ago.
Yes the most common problem on that would be the rear speed sensor located on the top of the rear end. The only way to know for sure would be to have the codes pulled by someone with a scanner capable of reading abs codes. I would gamble on this one and just replace it, inspect the wiring for the front ones first just in case
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have An ABS scanner and it worked
Expert:  Glenn replied 6 years ago.

Hi gary,

So was it a rear sensor code you got? C1230 or C1237...make sure wiring is not damaged near sensor then replace it.