Chris (aka- Moose), Ford Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Ford.
2499435

2000 ford f150: overdrive light..whats up

2000 ford f150 transmission overdrive light blinks on and off. Also makes a swush swush noise. whats up?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 7 years ago.

Do you notice any odd shifting or engagement characteristics?

Where do you hear this noise?

When do you hear this noise?

Can you do anything to duplicate the noise?

Inside the drivers door jam is a vin label I need the letter under TR

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Chris (aka- Moose)'s Post: The noise sounds like a swush swush all the time when in drive at all speeds. Almost sounds like its coming from rear end but hard to tell because i know the noise is traveling through the whole drive shaft and rear wheels.Hard to tell where it is coming from.Shifts like in overdrive when light on shifter is blinking.If i stop and put in park turn engine off then start again the light goes off for awhile.I heard the noise 4 months before the problem with the blicking light. The letter after TR is MH

I need this letter.

graphic

What do you mean by it shifts like it is OD.

Does it have any delayed or harsh shifts?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Chris (aka- Moose)'s Post: No hard shifts but when light is blinking it is in overdrive.The letter is U.

Hello I'm Chris a Ford Certified transmission specialist.

Thanks for asking your question. I am eager to get your vehicle back up and running correct, so if this information is of aid PLEASE PRESS ACCEPT. Please reply if further discussion is needed.

Since you have or notice no shifting faults I can't give you ant ideas as to what the concern is. One of the most common faults is torque converter lockup slippage which occurs in 3rd and 4th gear of your 4R70W transmisison. So to find out what the concern is you need to use a scan tool and pull the codes from the computer which will show a diagnostic trouble code. Auto Zone does this for free.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I pulled the codes and it said nothing is wrong, Still making swush swish noise. The overdrive light has turned off now.

Did the light turn off after the codes were pulled?

This description of the noise is hard for me to make in my head as a noise heard on a vehicle?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
There was no codes to pull.The light stopped blinking before the codes were pulled.I put truck in park turned it off and restarted it.The light was on but not blinking pressed button on end of shifter it turned off and has been off ever since. The noise the truck makes was hapening before 3 months before any problems with light. Only reason I thought blinking light had something to do with light blinking was because one of the guys on this site said it did. The noise sounds like it is coming from ujoints or front ofrear end but hard to tell because noise seems to travel.Hard to discribe noise but i will try.When rear wheels are off the ground and front wheels are on ground i crawled under truck put in gear drive shaft starts to turn back wheels put ear near rear ujoints and housing that bolts to rear end with 4 bolts the noise sounds like something is rubing.So picture the drive shaft turning and making a whish whish noise or rubing noise.
Does it kind of sound like a piece of sandpaper 1 inch on a turn table old record player. Since the OD light sometimes comes on with out you pushing it then i recommend you remove the steering column shrouds and look for wire chaffs going to the shifter handle.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes it sounds like sand paper on a turntable.What do you mean by wire chaffs?
Wire chaffs are when a wire has rubbed against something and caused the insulation to come off. The OD switch wires on top of the column have a tendancy to have this occur. As for the noise this may be a brake concern. Since it occurs with the rear tires off the ground then listen to each wheel . It could be a caliper or pad concern or a rotor concern or the parking brake shoes that are inside the rotor. The parking brake works like a brake drum and uses shoes instead of the pads used by the rear caliper brakes.
Chris (aka- Moose), Ford Technician
Experience: 16 years experience with Ford.