stefano
stefano, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  I have been an auto mechanic for 15 years, 12 years with Ford. ASE Master and Ford certified.
4820548

1989 ford f150 pickup: ignition switch..the actuator rod to the key

Customer Question

How do you replace the ignition switch in a 1989 ford f150 pickup truck? I have the switch replaced but cant seem to get the actuator rod to the key to go back in correcly does it hook in some where????
Category: Ford
Expert:  stefano replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer Why were you replacing the ignition switch in the first place?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
truck wouldnt start replaced celinoid ...while trying to start it the key switch quit working it had been not turning well so it quit turning at all so I relaced it had no resistance so repalced the ignition switch but the actuator arm came loose .. can't get it backinto the key
Expert:  stefano replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer The actuator is broken, the steering column needs to be removed and disassembled to replace the rod. This is difficult if you have never done it. I can give instructions if you choose to do it.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to stefano's Post: yes please do so I have steering wheel pulled small plastic shoud off it had 2 screws i can see into column internal stuff the turn signsl stops there doesnt appear to be any screws left to loosen there is the sleeve where the lock lever is.... where do i go next please
Expert:  stefano replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer There is a problem with the site with uploads, I will try again later.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to stefano's Post: is there another way to communicate w/ MSN messenger or can I call u or???? getttin' desperates loosin whole weekend may be should give up and have it towed to mechanic....what do u think.....
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
...nearly 1/2 hr later wondering if u r unable to respond back to me..... looks like you are not online....
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
..... still have truck apart need help w/ getting steering column apart so I can get the actuartor arm re-connected to the key assembly
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
can i please get an answer to will Irecieve my deposit back assuming u r unable to respond to my need for help in remi=oving steering column to re- attach actuator arm to key assembly thanks jim
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
frustration level very high w/ truck problem... now u guys r adding to it by not responding to any post about truck question.... nor return of deposit.....
Expert:  stefano replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer Still having technical problems. Check your private messages and we should be able to work this out.