Glenn
Glenn, Senior Master Ford Tech
Experience:  26 years exp with Ford Products, ASE Master Auto & Truck + advanced engine perf L1/L2 Gas & Diesel
3389900

removal of front brake caliper on a 1993 ford explorer

Rotors need replacing
Category: Ford
Expert:  Glenn replied 6 years ago.

Hello Kevin,

The long directions are out of the shop manual...Its so much easier than they make it out to be. Just remove the wheel of course and pound out the slide pins. You have to get the end compressed a little in order to get it started out. If you can grind a V into the middle of an old chisel, this works great. Then a straight punch or 1/4 inch extension to pound them all the way out. You should be able to remove the rotor then, that's just take off the center dust cap, remove the cottor pin and take the nut off. I remove the outer bearing then and reinstall the nut and slide it outward to grab the inner bearing and this removes the dust seal and bearing for transfer to the new rotor. Buy new seals with the rotors. You just tap them back in with a hammer after putting in the inner bearing . Of course repack your wheel bearings with new grease....Glenn

«1993 Aerostar/Ranger/Explorer Table of Contents»
«Group 06: BRAKE»
«Section 06-03: Brake, Front Disc»
«REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION»

Front Caliper and Lining

Removal

NOTE:
If the calipers are to be removed for service other than to replace brake shoes, fluid removal from the master cylinder may not be required. Go to Step 2.

1. Use a clean siphon or suction hose to remove a portion of the fluid from the master cylinder. Discard the removed fluid.

CAUTION:
System contamination may result if anything other than a CLEAN device is used to remove fluid from master cylinder.

NOTE:
Removing some fluid will prevent fluid from overflowing from the master cylinder when the caliper pistons are pressed into their bores.

2. Raise the vehicle and install safety stands. Remove a front wheel and tire assembly.

3. Use an eight-inch C-clamp to move the piston back into its bore as follows:

l Place the head of the C-clamp against the caliper, and the screw end of the C-clamp against the outer shoe BELOW THE SPRING CLIP.

CAUTION:
Do not position C-clamp on the spring clip. Also, do not compress piston further than is required to disengage torque buttons from caliper. Damage to the spring clip will result. Replace shoe if spring clip is bent or damaged.

CAUTION:
Do not attempt to "bottom" the piston in the bore at this time. Use an old, worn out brake shoe or block of wood and the C-clamp to bottom the piston once caliper is removed from rotor, and the shoes are removed from the caliper.

l Tighten the clamp until the torque buttons just clear the caliper (about 3mm [1/8 inch]). Remove the C-clamp.

CAUTION:
Do not use a screwdriver or similar tool to pry piston away from the rotor.

4. Clean excess dirt from area around pin tabs.

5. Using Caliper Pin Remover D89T-2196-A or equivalent and a light hammer, drive the caliper pin from the caliper as follows:

l Position the notched end of the tool against the caliper pin (retention tab half), at a 45 degree angle from the pin retention tabs.

l Tap the tool with the hammer to compress the retention tabs.

l As the retention tabs are compressed, move the tool to gain a straight approach to the pin, and continue tapping to drive the pin through the caliper/spindle groove.

6. Remove the caliper from the rotor. If the caliper is to be removed for service, disconnect the brake hose from the caliper. If not, secure the caliper with wire. DO NOT let the caliper hang with its weight on the brake hose.

7. Compress the anti-rattle clip and remove the inner shoe from the caliper.

8. To remove the outer shoe from the caliper, press each ear of the shoe away from the caliper, slide the torque buttons out of the retention notches and slide the shoe off.

Installation

1. The caliper piston must be "bottomed out" when installing new shoe and lining assemblies. Be sure that enough fluid has been removed from master cylinder (see Step 1 of Removal) to prevent fluid overflow. Bottom out the caliper piston with an eight-inch C-clamp using a worn-out inner shoe or a block of wood to push against the piston.

CAUTION:
Never attempt to bottom out the piston with the outer shoe installed.

2. Place a new anti-rattle clip on the lower end of the inner shoe. Be sure the tabs on the clip are positioned properly and the clip is fully seated.

3. Position the inner shoe and anti-rattle clip in the shoe abutment of the spindle with the anti-rattle clip tab against the shoe abutment and the loop-type spring away from the rotor.

4. Compress the anti-rattle clip and slide the upper end of the shoe in position.

5. Install the outer shoe, making sure the torque buttons on the shoe are seated solidly in the matching holes in the caliper.

6. Make sure the mounting surfaces are free of dirt and corrosion, and lubricate the caliper grooves with Disc Brake Caliper Grease D7AZ-19590-A (ESA-M1C172-A) or equivalent, then position the caliper on the spindle.

7. From the caliper outboard side, position the pin between the caliper and spindle grooves. The pin must be positioned so the tabs will be installed against the spindle outer face.

CAUTION:
Be sure to install the caliper pins so the retention tabs will be in contact with the spindle, not the caliper. When the upper pin is properly positioned, the retention tabs will be at the top, against the spindle. When the lower pin is properly positioned, the retention tabs will be at the bottom, also in contact with the spindle.

8. Tap the pin on the outboard end with a hammer. Continue tapping the pin inward until the retention tabs on the sides of the pin contact the spindle face. Repeat procedure for the lower pin.

CAUTION:
During the installation procedure, do not allow the tabs of the caliper pin to be tapped too far into the spindle groove. If this happens, it will be necessary to tap the other end of the caliper pin until the tabs snap into place. The tabs on each end of the caliper pin must be free to catch on the spindle face.

9. If removed, install the brake hose to the caliper.

10. If the brake hose was removed, bleed the brakes as described in «Section 06-00».

11. Install the wheel and tire assembly. Tighten lugnuts to 115-155 N-m (85-115 ft-lb).

12. Lower the vehicle, check the brake fluid level and fill as necessary. Check brakes for proper operation then recheck brake fluid level in master cylinder. Add if necessary.

Glenn, Senior Master Ford Tech
Experience: 26 years exp with Ford Products, ASE Master Auto & Truck + advanced engine perf L1/L2 Gas & Diesel