stefano, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  I have been an auto mechanic for 15 years, 12 years with Ford. ASE Master and Ford certified.

2004 ford explorer. we have blinking overdrive light. codes ...

2004 ford explorer. we have blinking overdrive light. codes indicate that torque converter clutch solenoid is bad. vin# XXXXX what type of transmission does it have? can it be repaired and how?
Category: Ford
Expert:  stefano replied 9 years ago.
HiCustomer You have a 5R55S transmission. These have a common problem with the valve body. This is most likely what needs to be replaced.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Please explain what you mean by the valve body? And how hard is that to replace on my own? Thanks
Expert:  stefano replied 9 years ago.

HiCustomer The valve body contains all the shift solenoids and most of the electronics for the trans. It is not hard to replace for an experienced tech, but may be difficult for someone who has not done it before. The most critical part is torquing the new valve body down, and lining it up. It is located above the trans pan. I do not recommend this for a beginner. I have attached the directions.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to stefano's Post: one last question...we were told the torque converter clutch solenoid was replacing the valve pan...are these parts included in the valve pan? just want to make sure that I would purchase all the needed parts. thanks
Expert:  stefano replied 9 years ago.
HiCustomer You can do it both ways. You can just replace the solenoid or you can replace the valve body. The valve body replacement is recommended because Ford has updated the valve body due to the many problems it has. Ask the parts people at the dealership to make sure.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
is it reccomended to replace both to elemonate any doubt
Expert:  stefano replied 9 years ago.

HiCustomer I have double checked the Ford website and have found they have superseded the old TSB with a new one. I would just replace the solenoid pack, it is easier and cheaper. The valve body you have should be the updated one. If you do need to change the valve body later, you will just lose on the labor, but if you are doing it yourself, it should be no big deal. The solenoid pack can be replaced in a couple of hours. I have attached the TSB.