32dmadden, Auto Repair Shop Owner
Experience:  A.S.E. Certified Master Technician, L-1 37 yrs. Auto Repair Experience

where is the oil drain plug on a 2004 ford explorer

i am under the truck, i can see the filter but i do not know where the oil drain plug is located. i just want to be able to do this myself so i don't have to wake up at the crack of dawn on the weekends to wait in line for 30 minute oil change. i know how a house with a garage; i can do it myself. at least i thought--changed the oil in the wife's 2000 dodge caravan lickety-split.
Category: Ford
Expert:  32dmadden replied 9 years ago.
graphic It will be in the bottom of the oil pan at the deepest part of the oil pan. I will send a diagram of the 4.0L engine. The 4.6L is slightly different but still in the bottom of the oil pan. The part highlited is where the bolts are that hold the pan to the engine block. In the other diagram look at #35 that's where the drain plug is. Let me know if you need more help.graphic