stefano, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  I have been an auto mechanic for 15 years, 12 years with Ford. ASE Master and Ford certified.

have a 95 ford E350 cargo van the speedometer & digital ...

Customer Question

have a 95 ford E350 cargo van the speedometer & digital odometer just quit working now the trans shifts funny and the overdrive light blinks any suggestions what it is thanks it has a 351 in it the speed sensor in the rear end read 2345 ohms
Category: Ford
Expert:  stefano replied 9 years ago.
HiCustomer The resistance is in spec, but that does not mean it is not bad. I would check the wiring from the speed sensor to the ABS or RABS (rear ant-lock brake system) module. It should have less than 5 ohms. If the wiring is ok, I would replace the rear speed sensor. If that does not fix it, I would take it to the dealer to have diagnosed because you do not want to spend the money for a module if you do not have to. If you want to do the tests yourself, I can send them for you. Let me know if you have 4 wheel ABS or just RABS.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to stefano's Post: i did test the owms at the plug at the rear speed sensor it was 2.6 and the van has rabs also do you think it could be the ingition key switch i did mess with the switch when it quit working and it started working and then stopped it did this a couple of times before it quit all togather thanks mike please send me the test
Expert:  stefano replied 9 years ago.

HiCustomer The ignition switch may have something to do with the speed sensor. You need to check the wiring from the sensor connector to the RABS module (each wire individually). Before I can give you the test, you need to check for codes. You need to find the RABS diagnostic connector, it should be located under the dash on the driver side around the e-brake. I have sent directions. If the diagnostic connector is not on the driverside, check the passenger side behind the kick panel.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to stefano's Post: the test code was 16 the book said that code meant system passed
Expert:  stefano replied 9 years ago.

HiCustomer I would first double check everything you did with the ignition switch. If all of that is ok, then you need to check the speedometer module which is in the instrument cluster. On your system, the speed sensor signal goes from the sensor to the speedometer module and then to the powertrain control module (PCM). If the speedometer module is bad, the PCM will receive the wrong signal, causing your trans problem. You are going to have to check the speed signal to the speedometer module and then from the speedo module to the PCM. I have sent the wiring diagram and the procedure for checking the speed signal.