Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician
3195632

Can an oil change cause your engine light to come on

I went to a reputable service center to get an oil change. when i got home the engine light was on. How could this have happen? Are there any corelations? If so , how or what could have caused this. I have a 2002 mercury sable. less than 55,000 and have never had any problems until now.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Eric replied 9 years ago.

The check engine light(CEL) comes on when the computer detects a fault or problem with a component or sensor in engine driveability, transmission, or emissions system. In order to find out where the issue is the computer needs to be read with a diagnostic scanner. Autozone, along with other parts stores will provide this service for free. They will give you the diagnostic codes that are stored in the computer and what it relates to.

About the only way it would be related is if they knocked a sensor connection loose while changing the oil filter. You can take it back to them first to have them make sure they didnt knock a connection loose, if they dont find anything, then take it to an Autozone for them to read computer for free.

If this answer helps please hit the ACCEPT BUTTON or ask for more help. Positive feedback is appreciated
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
A DIAGNOSTIC TEST WAS RUN ON MY CAR AT THE FORD DEALERSHIP AND O PROVIDED YOU WITH THE CODES IN MY CORRESPONDENCE. IF A SENSOR CONNECTION GOT LOOSE WHILE CHANGING THE OIL FILTER. WHAT CORRECTIONS COULD BE MADE TO RECTIFY THIS ISSUE?
Expert:  Eric replied 9 years ago.

I re-read your question, but I dont see any codes. If you could give me the codes, I can let you know if it is related to the oil change.

If a connector is knocked loose, it would just need to be plugged back into the sensor.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
THE FOLLOWING CODES WERE QUICK TEST P0175 RICH BANK 1, PCM PER SSM 17434.
Expert:  Eric replied 9 years ago.

That code, 175- system too rich- means that an oxygen sensor is reading a rich condition in the exhaust gases. A rich condition means that the fuel-air ratio is too much fuel, more than normal. This can happen for a number of reasons, none of which would be from a oil change though. You will need to have a diagnostics performed to determine problem. But that is definitely NOT related to an oil change.

If this answer has helped please hit the ACCEPT BUTTON or ask for more help. Positive feedback is appreciated
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
ok thanks! does this mean that the gas I purchased was bad. I have always fill up my tank and this has never happen. What are the chances of me filling up my gas tank and this engine light coming on again? I plan to fill up my tank again today.

also where is this sensor in connection with the oil filter? and what does the PCM PER SSM code 17434 means?
Expert:  Eric replied 9 years ago.

I dont believe its from bad gas. The oxygen sensor is located on the exhaust system, one at the exhaust manifold, one after the catylitic convertor. Neither are near enough to the oil filter to have been knocked loose. As far as the other, I havent any data on that code.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I have always fill up my tank and this has never happen. What are the chances of me filling up my gas tank and this engine light coming on again? I plan to fill up my tank again today.
Expert:  Eric replied 9 years ago.
It should not be an issue, unless you dont tighten your gas cap all the way. That can set the check engine light, but its a different code than 0175, usually a code 440 or 442. I hope this helps. If light comes on, make sure gas cap is tightened all they way.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
thanks. will a I get the entire copy of this correspondence sent to my e-mail address?
Expert:  Eric replied 9 years ago.
yes, you should, I know that on my end I do so I assume you are also sent a copy of each posting to yours as well.

Good luck and enjoyed being of some help to you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
last question. what would happen if the oil level was filled too high on my dip stick and the oil did not run on the ground? What kind of malfunction or experience would I encounter from the performance of my vehicle?
Expert:  Eric replied 9 years ago.
IF oil level is too high, it can cause oil to be pushed past pcv valve and your exhaust would be bluish-blake, a sign of burning oil. Also, in the long run it can cause damge to engine pistons. If the oil is too high, take it back to where oil change was done and have them drain the excess and ensure that oil is at proper level.

If this answer has helped please hit the ACCEPT BUTTON or ask for more help. Positive feedback is always appreciated