Marc
Marc, Technician, Auto, Diesel
Experience:  32 years exp. Automotive repairs on Ford cars and trucks
44459

1999 Ford F150. Brakes lights and turn signals do not work.

1999 Ford F150. Brakes lights and turn signals do not work. Replaced fuse 13. Works for about 10 minutes and then the fuse blows. What next?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Marc replied 9 years ago.
Do you have cruise control?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Marc's Post: Yes I have cruise control. 1999 F-150 4x4. Fuse 13 controls the turn signal and rear brake/tail lights. I stopped at Autozone last night and bought some fuses. Replaced fuse 13 and drove home. When I was braking and had my turn signal on I noticed a flash in the fuse panel (left the panel cover off) and the fuse had blown. Replaced it on the shoulder and it blew again after about 5 miles.
Expert:  Marc replied 9 years ago.

Sorry for all the questions but it will help to know if the fuse only blows when turn signal switch is in left or right position when you have problem?

Also do you have a trailer plug on the back of the truck?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Marc's Post: Yes there is a trailer plug. It definitely blows with a right turn. Not sure about a left turn.
Expert:  Marc replied 9 years ago.

First thing to check is the trailer plug, that is where most problem come from.

If the plug is good you are going to have to check the brake light switch and turn switch . Then trace back through the wire harness.