Glenn
Glenn, Senior Master Ford Tech
Experience:  26 years exp with Ford Products, ASE Master Auto & Truck + advanced engine perf L1/L2 Gas & Diesel
3389900

Ford Focus: overheating..leak..the coolant casing..couldnt find

Ford Focus 2001 SW had overheating problem with slow loss of coolant. No apparent leak. Mechanic claimed the coolant casing developed small cracks, where the thermostat is seated, but I couldn't find any on the discarded part. It cost me $400.00 for parts and labor. Is there a history of cracks developing in the thick plastic casing.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Glenn replied 9 years ago.
Yes that is a very common problem on Focus engines. You might of got stuck on the price if that's all they did. What was the break down parts and labor? Give me part number too.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX appears sincere, knowledgable and is close by for future problems. The #s stamped on the thermostat housing are PA6630gf or N8U4A.

He has the part listed as MAG-8542BD and $80.36. also MAG-8542AC "connection" at $45.28. Thermostat MAG 8575-LA at 18.50. 1 O-ring $10.97 He does have $85 an hr. listed and this is NJ so thats ball park around here. He also replaced the thermostat and O rings.
Parts $158
Labor $215
plus tax
P.S. the car has 93K miles.
Expert:  Glenn replied 9 years ago.

You were overcharged. Parts are excessive, you could have bought Ford parts [ford list shown]cheaper than that. It matters if you have a single cam or DOHC but anyway..orings come with our housings.. Labor excessive by at least a half hour [he charged you 2.5 hrs] Then what is his warranty? Ford's is 12 K or 12 months on repairs. Didn't put new antifreeze in?

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic