Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

Ford Ranger: I disable the anti-theft system..locks

How do I disable the anti-theft system on my Ford Ranger 1997? Manual locks and windows.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 9 years ago.

Hello I'm Chris.

When you put your key in the ignition in the run position is the theft light blinking rapidly?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Chris (aka- Moose)'s Post: I believe so. This morning it would not disable...now it will. I want to disable the system before it catches me on the road and won't work. I will pay I'm just a first time user. Thanks Joel

Hello again, you are having a PATS concern. This is causing the vehicle to not recognize a programmed key is being used. This is either being caused by the key or the PATS transciever on the ignition.

There is not a disable feature. The reason there is not a disable is because if there were one, then it would not be an effective Anti theft system.

Now if this answer is not worth an ACCEPT, please do reply for further discussion, Thank You!

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Chris (aka- Moose)'s Post: Can a Ford Dealer remove or disable the system? What do I do if I lose the transceiver or the battery goes dead on me?
A ford dealer can't disable this either. I know this since I am a ford employee. If the transciever fails entirely then you will not be able to start the truck. I do recommend a visit to the dealer and get the sytem repaired. Most likely it is going to the PATS module or the transciever which detects a programmed key is being used.