Glenn
Glenn, Senior Master Ford Tech
Experience:  26 years exp with Ford Products, ASE Master Auto & Truck + advanced engine perf L1/L2 Gas & Diesel
3389900

2002 ford Escape: check engine light..a misfire..coil..spark plug

Hi, I've got a 2002 ford Escape XLS. The check engine light is on and when put on the computer at a local shop, it says that I have a misfire in the #5 cylinder and that the coil is probably bad. I replaced the coil and the spark plug and the light is still on. It isn't running rough really at all and the spark plug is definitely getting good spark. Is there anything else that this could be?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Glenn replied 9 years ago.

Hi bill,

First off did you clear the codes after replacing the coil and plug?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Glenn's Post: Well, I took it to the shop to figure out what was wrong with it. After they told me wbat it was, I went ahead and had them clear the light. I drove it home and then replaced the coil and plug, then drove it for about 150 miles and now it is back on. I had o'reilly put it on one of their computers to verify that it was on for the same reason again, and it was.
Expert:  Brad replied 9 years ago.
Describe the exact location of the coil you replaced... you might have replaced the wrong one...
Expert:  Glenn replied 9 years ago.

Hi bill,

Is it a misfire code P0305 or a coil code like P0355

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Brad's Post: It was the middle coil on the front half of the engine. The mechanic showed me which one it was. I know it was the right one because the car was running really rough before I did that and after I replaced it, the problem was fixed. Is there anything else that could be causing that light to come on?
Expert:  Glenn replied 9 years ago.

Hi bill,

Brad jumped in when he shouldn't have. Yes we are having problems with the coil driver wires breaking at the pcm harness connector. I'll post the pcm pin out here in a couple of minutes. Here it is pcm pins, check number 27 real close, pull on it and see if insulation streches, if it does its broken inside. check 26 too that one is real bad about doing it. That diagram will be upside down, 26 should be in the drivers side lower corner. Confirm wire colors. You will have to remove the black shield around the bolt and cut the tape holding it on to inspect them.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Glenn's Post: Will that come to me or will I have to go somewhere on the website to find where you are going to post that? Are you not talking about the harness that connects directly to the coil pack?
Expert:  Glenn replied 9 years ago.

Check the previous post for the pdf file link. The site seems slow in updating tonight, so please be patient. I was editing my answer while you were trying to look at it.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Alright, I appreciate your help. I'll take a look at it and see I can fix it that way. Thanks
Expert:  Glenn replied 9 years ago.

OK Bill,

please post your findings when you get a look at it, I really am interested to see if that is the problem.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Glenn's Post: that did not end up being the problem I don't think. I pulled that harness apart and checked the wire and it looked fine. I'm not sure what else to check. Oh yeah, and it just started running rough again yesterday. It's almost like there's a short somewhere because I know it's not the coil or the plug. In that PCM module, there was a wire clamp/splice from an old alarm system, remaining on one of the wires. That wire was the same color as one of the two wires running to the coil harness. I wonder if that has something to do with it....I don't know. I'll probably put it in the shop sometime this week unless you know of anything else.
Expert:  Glenn replied 9 years ago.

HI,

Ohm that wire back to the coil from the pcm with it unplugged while bending the harness around. It should stay below 5 ohms. I still think it might be semi broken, it can break the wire with out breaking the insulation, you need to pull on it. Take off any add on wiring and seal off, heat shrink is the best

Glenn, Senior Master Ford Tech
Experience: 26 years exp with Ford Products, ASE Master Auto & Truck + advanced engine perf L1/L2 Gas & Diesel