Lurch
Lurch, Ford Cert.
Experience:  Ford Cert., Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years
1609972

1998 Ford F-150 drivers side power window will not go down.

1998 Ford F-150 drivers side power window will not go down. Motor is good both directions when removed. Has 12v going up but 12v for only a split second going down. Then you can hear the relay popping open on the fuse box and the window loses power when the motor is reconnected.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Lurch replied 7 years ago.
Have you got the "one Touch" Down Button or do you have to hold down on the Button
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Lurch's Post: Yes, this truck has the "one touch" button and relay.
Expert:  Lurch replied 7 years ago.

If you are sure the Motor is Good:
It sounds like the One Touch is cutting off (controlled by GEM) or the Relay is bad:

The GEM (Generic Electronic Module) controls manual down and One Touch Down (OTD) window movement with the one touch down relay.
The relay is activated by applying ground directly to one side of the down window relay coil, and is deactivated by removing the ground signal.

Prior to Replacing GEM, you may want to replace Relay first.

The One Touch Down Relay is located in the junction box fuse/relay panel.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Lurch's Post: Thanks, I already swapped out the relay and still does the same thing. I was hoping it wasn't the the GEM. Thanks for your help. Your great! One last thing. Where is the GEM located?
Expert:  Lurch replied 7 years ago.

Double check Connections at GEM & after that, Remove Positive Battery Cable & wait 5 minutes, Reconnect Positive Battery Cable & try. If still not working, Replace GEM:
The Generic Electronic Module is located behind center of the instrument panel. Driver side:

graphic

Lurch, Ford Cert.
Experience: Ford Cert., Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years