ase_master327, Shop Owner
Experience:  +15 years experience with Fords. Bumper to bumper diagnosis & repair.

1993 Ford Ranger: wont start..It cranks..turn key..fuel pump

1993 Ford Ranger 2.3
It won't start. It cranks, gets good fire (shocked the heck out of me), but does not appear to get any gas. I checked fuses under dash (ok) and under hood (also ok) I was told to take the fuel cap off and turn key on and that I should hear the fuel pump ( I don't ) Is there anything else I should check before I pull the tank?

If you can't hear it running, it is most likely not getting power. If it is getting power, then it is bad...

Check the inertia switch, make sure it hasn't tripped and it has power to it.

The inertia switch is located on the toe-board, to the right of the transmission hump, in the passenger-side footwell.

See Figures 1 and 2

1. Turn the ignition switch OFF.

2. Ensure that there is no fuel leaking in the engine compartment, along any of the lines or at the tank. There should be no odor of fuel as well.

3. If no leakage and/or odor is apparent, reset the switch by pushing the reset button on the top of the switch.

You may need to pull the carpet down and away from the instrument panel in order to access the switch.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: Fuel pump inertia switch and reset button location

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig.2: The Inertia Fuel Shutoff (IFS) switch-when an impact occurs, the ball breaks loose from the magnet and strikes the target plate which opens the electrical contacts

1. Cycle the ignition switch from the ON to OFF positions several times, allowing five seconds at each position, to build fuel pressure within the system.

2. Again, check the fuel system for leaks. There should be no odor of fuel as well.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thank you very much. Very professional. Thanks for the graphics.

This is only something to educated guess.

If you need any further help, PLEASE reply.